Re_claim tax .

Options
hi , i took voluntary redundancy in January after 35 years working at the same company,
i was told by a colleague when leaving if i wasn't going to work again i could reclaim the tax id paid, is this right ?.
any information would be appreciated thank you.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If he meant all the tax paid on the redundancy then no, not right.

However as you left before the end of the tax year you may be entitled to something back as you will have unused tax free personal allowance (depending on what you did after)

Did you claim any benefits prior to 6 April 2019?
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    penpon wrote: »
    hi , i took voluntary redundancy in January after 35 years working at the same company,
    i was told by a colleague when leaving if i wasn't going to work again i could reclaim the tax id paid, is this right ?.
    any information would be appreciated thank you.

What tax? Your income tax? From when to when?

Depending on your income level, if your taxable income April to Jan was under the personal allowance, and would have been OVER the allowance had you worked another 2-3 months, then yes, you could claim back any tax paid in the period April to Jan, bit it is unlikely to be a great deal of money.
  • penpon
    penpon Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure what he meant really , but no i haven't claimed anything .
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I was made redundant a few years ago in the month of May and partially reclaimed tax I'd paid for April and May because I'd been taxed on the basis that I'd be working for a full tax year.

As suggested above, if you took redundancy in January (ie ten months into the tax year), it's unlikely there will be much if anything to reclaim.

It happened to me seven years ago and I used HMRC website to work out what to reclaim. I think it was here: https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund

(Actually that's not what I used. The site has had a makeover but I presume the above link is now the relevant one. I'm sure others can confirm or not).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure