Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not quite sure why HL is putting pressure on, when they couldn't / didn't take a proper look earlier on.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7164533/Hargreaves-tells-Woodford-repay-savers-frozen-fund-soon-possible.html
    Stables, doors and horses come to mind.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This bilge from HL smacks of pure hypocrisy. Their fingers are all over the Wealth 50 stuff after virtually every other platform had issued a sell, some a long time ago. The situation is simple, get a smaller amount of money back now, or give Woodford a chance to wind things up in an orderly manner, and hopefully get some more money back some time later.

We are in the reputation damage stage of HL PR puff now, on the side of our customers (which please now forget we misled), bail our customers out quick, preferably before anyone else.
  • Brian65
    Brian65 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    The fact Woodford won't reduce his £100,000 a day fees whilst its closed suggests to me he doesn't expect to re-open it soon?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why reopen it at all? It can just sit there funding his fees for decades.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Brian65 wrote: »
    The fact Woodford won't reduce his £100,000 a day fees whilst its closed suggests to me he doesn't expect to re-open it soon?
    Well, not that he is earning £100k a day in fees from WEIF, that's just a number rounded up by several tens of thousands to more easily fit into a sound bite ..

He won't be opening it earlier than whenever there's a practical solution to deal with the liquidity issues. So, no time soon, as there are plenty of assets needing to be sold down, and some will be tricky to sell.

But in the meantime, his company is managing the fund and contractually still gets paid for managing it. His fees cost the investors something like 0.05% a month. A twentieth of a percent per month is not really going to damage investors' wealth.

What would probably damage the investors' wealth rather more would be if everyone at Woodford stopped working on making orderly disposals and keeping a sense of structure in the fund and just downed tools because they had no income.
  • Brian65
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Well, not that he is earning £100k a day in fees from WEIF, that's just a number rounded up by several tens of thousands to more easily fit into a sound bite ..

I thought it was per working day Mon-Fri
    Point is that once the fund is wound up his career is over.
    So he has a vested interest in spinning the job out
  • Brian65
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Why reopen it at all? It can just sit there funding his fees for decades.

Indeed. And he can keep the assets at their claimed valuations, rather than the prices people will pay for them.
  • Brian65
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    What would probably damage the investors' wealth rather more would be if everyone at Woodford stopped working on making orderly disposals and keeping a sense of structure in the fund and just downed tools because they had no income.

I suppose in that situation the assets would be sold to the highest bidder?
    In which case we would find out what they are worth instead of trusting Woodford to get more?
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brian65 wrote: »
    I suppose in that situation the assets would be sold to the highest bidder?
    In which case we would find out what they are worth instead of trusting Woodford to get more?
    A bankruptcy sale, or something close to it, is not the best way to establish the true value of assets, still less extract that true value.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure