Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    Unless you've been in Fundsmith or Lindsell Train or Scottish Mortgage etc the past years that is.

Until those fall in the same direction... Woodford was the mutts nuts for a few years and now it's all gone to pot.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 3:58PM
    Options
    cogito wrote: »
    Interesting that Smith considers a 23% return over 3 years to be a failure and apologises to his investors whereas over the same period Woodford has lost 20% and continues to insist that he is doing the right things.

24% after 5 years. As with many people. They often have one great concept. Replicating it is the challenge. Doesn't mean that they still don't deserve respect.

Not all good news. Seems as if Woodford has been forced to sell his entire holding in Oxford Sciences Innovation. UK investors prefer jam today rather than more jam tomorrow.
  • CheesePlant
    Options
    I think 5-8 funds diversified across different sectors and global markets would be a better choice for 50k. The 2 Lindsell Train funds could be 2 of these. Personally I would sell Woodford now because my opinion is that other things will do better over the next few years. If you still like Woodford then maybe keep 10k and reinvest the rest.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would sell Woodford now because my opinion is that other things will do better over the next few years.

One should invest based on ones objectives, in particular time frame. I first bought F&C Enterprise trust (as it was then known) - now ICG Enterprise trust, when it launched in 1985. As time is against me. Wouldn't consider such a fund these days.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    Woodford was the mutts nuts for a few years

Factually nearly 30 years (I held him for all that time). Discounting a few years when he avoided tech before the bubble, and banks before credit crunch, and came in for much the same criticism at the time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/10388817/How-Neil-Woodford-made-you-a-fortune.html

The post credit crunch recovery is something I bet he is praying for now!.... Time will tell.
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    I think 5-8 funds diversified across different sectors and global markets would be a better choice for 50k. The 2 Lindsell Train funds could be 2 of these.

You need to bear in mind that the LTGE is 30% UK and all those stocks are also in the UK fund.
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Factually nearly 30 years (I held him for all that time). Discounting a few years when he avoided tech before the bubble, and banks before credit crunch, and came in for much the same criticism at the time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/10388817/How-Neil-Woodford-made-you-a-fortune.html

The post credit crunch recovery is something I bet he is praying for now!.... Time will tell.

are you still invested in any Woodford products now?
    Midas.
  • talexuser
    Options
    Midas wrote: »
    are you still invested in any Woodford products now?

No, my story is in previous posts/threads. I got out when my gain went from 40% to 30% and it was becoming obvious his 5 year figures could not recover to top the tables. As I've said before it will be interesting to see if that was the right or wrong decision.
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, my story is in previous posts/threads. I got out when my gain went from 40% to 30% and it was becoming obvious his 5 year figures could not recover to top the tables. As I've said before it will be interesting to see if that was the right or wrong decision.

It certainly looks like it was!
    Midas.
  • talexuser
    Options
    But as I've also said if you are not invested and he does know what he's doing, now would be the time to jump in since the contrarian sometimes wins big in the long term. However I've also said I'm not brave enough to do it! ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback