Paying Off Catalogue Debt

New Post Advanced Search

Paying Off Catalogue Debt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
10 replies 2.2K views
mich08mich08 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I've never had an account with a catalogue or anything but last year I stupidly decided to order a few things on Very on the 'Buy Now Pay Later' ... I now have a £800 balance to pay, I'm paying it every month but because of the interest it doesn't seem to be going down.. A friend mentioned to get a credit card to pay it off but I've never had a credit card so I don't know the ins and outs of them and if this would be the best option?

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi mich08 and welcome to the forum :)

You need to pay more than what is on the BNPL Very statement if you want to see the Very balance reducing. You can make manual payments to do this. :)

As far as a credit card is concerned, you would require a promotional 0% Money Transfer card to do what you want.

MT card >> Current account >> Very account

See the article linked below for more details on how this works.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your best would be to get a money transfer card, that moves credit into your bank account so you can then pay off the debt and you pay it off, usually at 0% over a period of say 12-18 months. Your issue will be that you appear to have problems paying off a relatively small balance and so you might not get a card.

Try an eligibility checker like the one on the MSE site
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • LuSiVeLuSiVe Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi mich08 and welcome to the forum :)

You need to pay more than what is on the BNPL Very statement if you want to see the Very balance reducing. You can make manual payments to do this. :)

As far as a credit card is concerned, you would require a promotional 0% Money Transfer card to do what you want.

MT card >> Current account >> Very account

See the article linked below for more details on how this works.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/

A 0% purchase card would be fine too. You can pay BNPL with a credit card and it counts as a purchase.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't suggest opening new lines of credit when you haven't managed the shop card well. It will be a slippery slope.
    Throw as much money as you can to Very to pay it off quickly.
  • philsfogphilsfog Forumite
    4 posts
    About 8 years ago, I paid of $20k in 9 months. I got a second job at night waiting tables and and budgeting my living expenses extremely tight. Worked my !!! off and threw every bit extra money I had to the debt.

You can do it.
  • 20SmthngSver20SmthngSver Forumite
    505 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I guess you could get a 0% interest period credit card and pay it off. Some offer up to 27 months now I think. So this could be a good option for you.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    philsfog wrote: »
    About 8 years ago, I paid of $20k in 9 months. I got a second job at night waiting tables and and budgeting my living expenses extremely tight. Worked my !!! off and threw every bit extra money I had to the debt.

You can do it.

Presumably from the $ you're in the US - I guess with the crazy tip culture there it could be possible, 20% is an average tip lol
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check posting history. :spam:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yet more Yankee spam from Tinapenny. Quite apart from anything else, what kind of genuine business is going to use a gmail adresss and communicate via whatsapp lol. Do try harder if you want to spam convincingly, you womble.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • CandyappleCandyapple Forumite, Board Guide
    3.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Board Guide Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    mich08 wrote: »
    I've never had an account with a catalogue or anything but last year I stupidly decided to order a few things on Very on the 'Buy Now Pay Later' ... I now have a £800 balance to pay, I'm paying it every month but because of the interest it doesn't seem to be going down.. A friend mentioned to get a credit card to pay it off but I've never had a credit card so I don't know the ins and outs of them and if this would be the best option?

Those 'few things' that you ordered - can you sell them to repay the debt?

If you are struggling to repay an £800 balance, coupled with the fact you’ve never had a credit card before, the chances of you receiving a 0% money transfer card are slim to none.

Still, you never know, try plugging your details into the eligibility checker to see:
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?money-transfers&_ga=2.170510176.1901292714.1508748025-160981962.1507628140

It sounds like you are on a very low income and can’t manage your budget, in which case please start a new thread over on the DFW board to look at ways how to cut back on your outgoings to pay off the debt.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com