We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rubbish phone, 3 CS problems. Any advice?

Revex
Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
Hi,
I'm about 7 months into my contract with 3 on the nokia E65 phone. From the time ive had the phone its not been perfect and will reset itself every few hours but for the first few months I learnt to live with it. However it got to a point when if I hadn't used the phone for a couple of hours then before I am able to make a call I have to power off and power on the phone otherwise ill get the message that there is no network available (even though the network is full where I am). However the network seems to have degraded quite badly and will go from being full signal to no signal at all and just alternate throughout the day even if the phone is in the same place. The phone will also crash when using 3's x-series services and tend to regularly cut off callers. So the phone was very unstable.

So I got it sent off to the repair centre. 3 days later got the phone back with a note saying it had been fixed however all that they had done was reset the phone which is something I could have done myself. So I tryed it for a few more days and all the problems were still there so I thought id contact the executive office. I got a call back a couple of days later from a great guy who apologized for the problems and agreed it was a waste of time sending the phone off to their repair centre. He arranged for a new E65 to be sent and said to just keep the old one. He also said that if you have any problems with the new phone then you just get in touch directly with them....

So about a month later this new phone starts having exactly the same issues as the first. So instead of going through the repair centre I went direct to the exec office. A couple of days later I got a call back from a lady saying that ill need to send the phone off to their repair centre. I said ok and explained how useless they were last time and what happens if it comes back again to me not being fixed. She just said well if that happens you will have to send it again, and then again. I got quite annoyed as im paying a monthly fee that wasnt discounted because of the phone I chose. And the phone is useless and unreliable.

Anyway I got the phone back today from the repair centre. Again with a letter saying the phone had been fixed and it appears this time they haven't even reset the settings. Just sent it right back to me. It still has all the problems with network drop outs and resets / freezing too.

I just don't know what to try as its all good an well sending the phone back and forth and still making me pay but at the end of the day I need a reliable phone and the E65 just isnt it and it doesn't even seem as though the exec office want to help this time.

I wish I could just go back to using my old samsung phone as its lost its looks but it was so reliable. But I dont want to be paying 3 top whack to be using my old phone.

I dont know what to try frown.gif

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. smile.gif

Comments

  • Hinni
    Hinni Posts: 69 Forumite
    I had the same problem with 3. My phone was sent back for repair twice. Since coming back the battery only lasted 2 days (with me not even using it as I couldn't get a signal!!).
    I was locked into an 18 month contract so I phoned them every month and lowered my tariff. If you want to lower to the cheapest tariff straight away they will charge you so I did it in steps.
    I've now gone with another provided and I'm much happier as I have a super phone and it works!! Sorry I couldn't really give you any advice but just wanted to let you know that this seems to be quite common.
  • Revex
    Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The battery on my phone wont even last 16 hours on standby - I even went out an bought a new battery and it still only lasted that long. So try using the included features and your lucky to get a few hours out of it.

    As far as I know because I signed with them after March you cant lower your tariff until after 18 months. Which sucks as id love to go to the lowest tariff because im sure as heck not being able to use what im getting on my current plan. Especially the x-series feature because they all crash on the phone. If you do a google search on e65 crashing too you will see hundreds of results. So I think its just a duff phone and will all the extra features 3 put on the phone just cant handle it.
  • I don't know if this will fix your problem, but there is a new firmware available for Nokia E65. Download the Nokia Software Update application, connect your Nokia E65 and upgrade your device to firmware 2.0633.65.01.
  • Revex
    Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Thanks for you reply. I have got the latest firmware on the phone however the issues are still there :( The firmware seems to just update things that dont need updating but leaves the problems.

    I think alot of it has to do with all the extra functions three put in the phone such as msn messenger, slingbox, skype as alot of people when searching comment on how the phone is fine till you install new things on the phone. However you would expect paying for an x-series phone that all these additions 3 put on the phone would have been tested. I use msn and skype alot on the phone so maybe that is causing alot of the crashing problems but on a contract where that is one of the main features its annoying the think the only way to get the phone working is to remove them.
  • Revex
    Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    All resolved now. When I phoned again on Monday and explained the repair hadn't fixed the phone I was offered a different phone (however no N95) so I said there weren't any phones I liked the look of and she let me send both the phones I had to her and said she would ring with a PAC code once they had been returned. As promised I got the phone call and my PAC code today.

    So a good resolution I think :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.