Plumber not billed us 7 weeks now..

Not sure this is the right board but couldnt see where else to put it!
We had some work done on our home when we moved in on the 10th of sept, this included:
Dishwasher installed (fair bit of work done as new house so extra pipe work etc)
cooker installed (gas so new lead etc)
washing machine (plumbed in and new cable as ours wearing away)

He's a man i know vaguely so thought id'e give him the work, he called on our day of move although it was a very vague ill be round' thing! he turned up and did the cooker checked the washing machine and said he'd be back the next day to do washing machine as didnt have time..fair enough we were glad of the cooker..
Turned up on the monday quite late in the day to let us know that the lead wasn't any good and would have to come back, lots of ranting and saying he'd had a wasted journey etc and left..he did know this surely the day before when he looked at the machine?
Called him the next day as wasn't sure when he was back etc couldn't get hold of him, tried and tried and left a message saying if he didnt plan on returning could he let us know and we would pay him for what he had done etc.
He eventually called and came and did the work on the washing machine and the dishwasher, left an awful mess tbh and left saying he'd be in touch?? nothing..
I will say his customer service wether he knows me or not was dire (hes not long split from wife), he was always swearing, he criticised the house as being awful even though he couldnt point out what..it's brand new and i said if he had seen things that were wrong i would appreciate him saying as we can have them fixed within the 6 months of living here. Also the mess he left has been..
Pipe work in small toilet next door has gap where he drilled through, was all neatly done obviously but now has this nice gap!
Kitchen had seal on floor and all round boiler now split as he had to cut through to get under cupboards etc but when i mop now the waters getting under..
So what would you do? iv'e tried ringing once and don't see why now i should keep chasing, he has also seen me driving around...is 7 weeks normal?! we have a wedding to pay for and his money will come in very handy if not! I also have to say last thing that we never got a full quote out of him it was £20 here £35 there etc..but i do trust him!..

Comments

• Dealmad
    Dealmad Posts: 748 Forumite
    Why are you worried , wish someone would come do all my odds jobs and leave without coming back for payment :rotfl:

To be honest does he deserve to be paid anyway?

Seems as he left a mess and has no manners and did a bad job probably the reason he has not come back ,just forget about it and concentrate on your wedding:smiley:
  • I agree, I wouldn't chase him. One builder a friend used came around nearly a year after finishing work at her place. He said he'd just found her final invoice! :rolleyes: She'd just moved the money into a savings account & forgotten about it, so it wasn't a problem. Maybe you could do the same?
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Well it's been over 6 months and he turned up the other night..the bill is less than we had thought but had never really been told so..haven't paid him yet..may make him wait 6 months!! I wasn't impressed and said to df he can come back and sort the mess out he left, df said not to bother as he's more trouble than he's worth! he does need to do the cooker chain? as we haven't got a certificate yet.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ah Gaby - give the guy a break!! You sound quite young so this may all be new to you but at least the guy turned up!

Some small businesses are SO busy trying to keep customers satisfied that they often take WEEKS to drop their bills in.

You say it's cheaper than you thought - that's good but I don't think it's very fair to say you're thinking of making him wait 6 months before you pay him.

It really is no good moaning after the event you know. If you really objected to his behaviour you should say so at the time. Likewise the quality of his work.

I don't mean we should all excuse shoddy workmanship and poor manners but, believe me, it happens in all walks of life. Over the years I can remember having a VERY rude female GP, an extremely rough and brusque Dentist, builders who smoked in the house and people who started jobs and wanted paying before they had finished. So it's not just your workman!!:rolleyes:

If you feel he has not finished your work properly you should have told him when he dropped the bill in or given him a call and said "please come and finish off and I'll have your money ready".
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Gaby's gone??
  • gabyjane
    Penny what makes you think i am young? the fact that i may make him wait for his money..i'm sorry but i don't agree with people not doing their job properly and that's what this comes down to. We tried to ring him and got no where, he was due back to finish the job and never showed so there was not a lot we could do was there, as he still hasn't done it really. We did ask for the bill on the first day as well or near enough if need be but nothing..
    Seriously would you not be a bit miffed if someone had done this to you? again knowing you knew them well so there were no excuses as to where you live etc so he could have got his money...maybe it's normal to some but we have had lots of work done and never had a scenario like this.
    And as for the asking him to do the work there and then it was 8pm at night and not very likely, he had a good moan about his awful life and walked off??!
  • Lets face it this bloke is cheap because his work is cheap (quality).
    If he really hasnt done a decent job the just ring your local HMRC (Tax Office) and ask to speak to someone on Compliance.
    Then give them all this blokes details, when he did the work and how much and when you pay him any cash. Leave the rest to them.
    Dont tell anyone at all what you are doing. You dont even have to tell the Taxman your name etc.
    Cowboys deserve to get caught and made to pay and the decent tradesmen who (usually) pay their taxes will be pleased he got whats coming.

Have no sympathy for cheap thieves. If he's not a tax or benefit cheat (a thief in any other language) then he's got nothing to worry about.
  • :beer: So there!
  • Its seven weeks he is not coming back stop losing sleep over it
    and move on
    he has :confused: sorry to be blunt but he has forgotten you allready
    enjoy the wedding:j
  • gabyjane
    Its seven weeks he is not coming back stop losing sleep over it
    and move on
    he has :confused: sorry to be blunt but he has forgotten you allready
    enjoy the wedding:j

Did you read my post? it's 7 months now and i'm not losing sleep over it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure