Forum Home » Consumer Rights

2½ year old washing machine beyond economical repair. - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

2½ year old washing machine beyond economical repair.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
48 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why so?

The retailer is required to provide a remedy, with a sealed part in a £500 washing machine failing after just 2 and half years and the manufacturers report to confirm, that's what I'd be doing.
    can you please link to the law that says this? What has a sealed unit got to do with it? It could still have failed due to misuse or overuse and at 2 1/2 years old it's down to OP to prove what has caused it.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one. again letter before action on what basis?

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan. OP doesn't actually have a report stating the cause of the fault sostill needs to get this done, all they have is an engineer saying what they think is wrong but it hasn't even been opened up and inspected.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their £500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years. of course they wouldn't, however combined washer dryers are more prone to failure and have a shorter lifespan than separate machines. I've never actually heard of anyone following matufacturers instructions on these machines about loads, nobody actually takes out some of the load between washing and drying which is usually recommended, not doing so will shorten the lifespan

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.not until OP proves that it is a manufacturing/inherent fault they won't and without that proof a judge would not side with OP either.

This just shows how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Everything you posted is inaccurate as was everything JumbleBumble said without any actual proof of the fault and cause.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the OP has 15 kids or runs a launderette and has been washing bricks then fair enough.

Assuming they are a normal household doing what normal people do with their washing machine they entitled to a remedy.

You are correct that the burden of proof is placed upon them but as it's very unlikely Currys will go to the trouble and expense of sending someone to the OPs local court house to defend a claim for a few hundred pounds sending the letter is the path of least resistance to gaining a resolve.

Should Curry decline the claim without proof them the OP needs to commission an independent report to confirm an inherent fault, the cost of which can be added to the claim.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    This just shows how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Everything you posted is inaccurate as was everything JumbleBumble said without any actual proof of the fault and cause.

Yes, yes the act requires proof, see above.

The point about the sealed unit is this isn't a consumerable part, you are expect to replace the brakes on your car or the light in your fridge, the bearings in a machine drum which is uneconomical to replace isn't something that should be the purchasers responsibility to maintain or replace.
  • Thanks for the swift replies folks.

BoGoF
    “Did you pay for the engineer to come out?”

I called Zanussi and paid for their Fixed Price Repair. I told them I wanted an inspection to see if it was a manufacturing fault. They did tell me they could do repairs up to the value of £250 or they'll put the callout charge towards the cost of a new one iif they can't repair it. The operator told me to tell the engineer what I wanted but when he came the engineer said he can't do an inspection and tell if it's a manufacturing fault. I made it abundantly clear I was ringing for an inspection but thought the idea it being able to be repaired was good too.

“So on what basis are Cuurys obliged to provide a remedy?”
    Does an item have to be of reasonable quality? I would say it’s not if it fails after such a short time.

Aylesbury,
    “2.5 years might be a perfectly reasonable lifespan if the machine's had heavy use over that time, or it might be unreasonable for a machine used just once or twice a week.”

Indeed, there are only two of us in the household and the machine gets used once or twice a week, sometimes every other week. We are careful not to overload it even going as far as to take out half a wash load when using the dryer as per the manual.

Manxman,
    I am asking for a remedy from Currys and a refund of the non-inspection. I have not contacted Currys so far.
  • Oops, sorry, I did contact Currys. I was told to get an inspection that's why I booked Zanussi.
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is that you need an independent inspection to prove inherent fault so not from Zanussi. (That would be them marking their own homework)
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the OP has 15 kids or runs a launderette and has been washing bricks then fair enough.

Assuming they are a normal household doing what normal people do with their washing machine they entitled to a remedy.

You are correct that the burden of proof is placed upon them but as it's very unlikely Currys will go to the trouble and expense of sending someone to the OPs local court house to defend a claim for a few hundred pounds sending the letter is the path of least resistance to gaining a resolve.

Should Curry decline the claim without proof them the OP needs to commission an independent report to confirm an inherent fault, the cost of which can be added to the claim

Isn't this putting the cart before the horse and begging the question? Surely you'd want an independent report before initiating a claim? And you are assuming a "post-claim" independent report would support the claim.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you are assuming a "post-claim" independent report would support the claim.

I'm saying send the letter, if that doesn't work get the report and go back to them.

I didn't advise OP to start small claims proceedings, simply to send Currys a letter stating they intend to.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of £489.

Did you pay by credit card?

You may find the credit card company more willing to accept liability under a s.75 Consumer Credit Act claim, as they'll just claw the money back from Currys and not lose anything themselves.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • edited 17 May 2019 at 9:58PM
    TammydreaperTammydreaper Forumite
    47 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 17 May 2019 at 9:58PM
    I also had a Zanussi drum fail with me ,it was not much more than 2 years old.It was the bigger drum with the faster speed and wasn't the cheapest.I never got it looked at.

I just bought a cheap Indesit from Tesco Direct,I also had a dicount through work and Tesco also had a deal on,so landed paying abou £150.It is about 2 years old and has been trouble free.

I will never buy another Zanussi