Why is my broadband and phone so expensive?

I have been with TalkTalk since they launched, but I am fed up with them increasing prices. I am out of contract.

I looked at uSwitch, whilst there are 18 month packages, but they make comparison harder, because you can sign up to pay 12months of line rental in advance. That means, after 12 months you have to sign up for another 12 to get the discount. That makes it harder to change companies after 18 months??

It is hurting my head.

These companies are offering deals for 18months and then jacking up the price after that. There is a lack of competition.

My broadband & phone costs are going up, yet the mobile phone companies are providing me with mind blowing discounts.

I can't remember the last time, I used the land line. So why is my phone cost going up?

Is there a sensible company I can deal with other the these big companies, which offer no competition?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,860
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bills go up, regardless of how little you use them.
    Have you checked to see if you can have sky or virgin or some other provider without a landline?

I don't have a phone line as I haven't used a house phone in probably 10 years. Therefore only have, and pay for, broadband.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I don't have a phone line as I haven't used a house phone in probably 10 years. Therefore only have, and pay for, broadband.

...but if you are with BT (or an ISP which uses the BT OR network eg Sky) or Virgin for broadband ,then you have, and are paying for, a landline -the only way to have broadband WITHOUT some form of landline is via the mobile phone networks or a satellite ISP.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well don't pay LR up front then, use the link at the top of the page and you'll find plenty of 12/18 month(your choice) contracts at reasonable cost.
    I have been with TalkTalk since they launched, but I am fed up with them increasing prices. I am out of contract.

So why are you still with them?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Forumite
    Unless you live in Hull there or in a city location with Gigaclear or similar, there are just 2 real providers, BT owned Openreach or Virgin media. Not much incentive for the big 2 to compete on price, service or to hurry up with network improvements.

The reason they try to shove a landline phone connection at everyone is the hope you'll forgetfully dial out with it. £1/minute to call popular foreign lands where Three charges 3p PAYG for example. To call another landline, maybe 20p/min compared to 3p on Three. If you search online you'll discover its ridiculously hard to get straight simple info on landline call charges.

Often weekend landline calls are free, this is to tempt you to install an actual phone and then, if you talk for more than a set time like 30 or 60 mins, you start being charged 10p/min for your 'free' call.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 974
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've been with TalkTalk for many years. Whenever the price goes up, I either go on live chat or phone them and they then give me the same price as new customers so long as I sign up for another 18 months. I've been doing this for at least 10 years and they've always been cheaper than anywhere else.

I recently signed up to their 900 meg service (both up and down) and have to say that they are great. It costs £27.50 a month for 24 months including phone line.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Peter999 wrote: »
    I've been with TalkTalk for many years. Whenever the price goes up, I either go on live chat or phone them and they then give me the same price as new customers so long as I sign up for another 18 months. I've been doing this for at least 10 years and they've always been cheaper than anywhere else.

I recently signed up to their 900 meg service (both up and down) and have to say that they are great. It costs £27.50 a month for 24 months including phone line.

I didn't know Talktalk do an FTTP service, although presently limited to York(?), it's interesting that they've got in ahead of the other suppliers.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    £1/minute to call popular foreign lands where Three charges 3p PAYG for example. To call another landline, maybe 20p/min compared to 3p on Three.
    Not if you register with people like these:
    https://www.18185.co.uk/
    buglawton wrote: »
    if you talk for more than a set time like 30 or 60 mins, you start being charged 10p/min for your 'free' call.
    Perhaps, but operators such as BT make the need to re-dial after an hour in order to avoid call charges quite clear in their literature.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Forumite
    Chino wrote: »
    Not if you register with people like these:
    https://www.18185.co.uk/

Perhaps, but operators such as BT make the need to re-dial after an hour in order to avoid call charges quite clear in their literature.
    Been with 18185 since the wheel was invented :)
    But it's all too easy for a family member - or during an absent minded moment - or use dial-back - to make that lucrative-for-the-landline-provider cal.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Hi rejeshk4u,

If you're paying line rental in advance it sounds like you're on one of our legacy packages. All of our newer packages include line rental in the monthly charges.

If you log into My Account you'll find an offers section which will give details of more current packages. If you need any help our customer loyalty team will be able to talk you through the packages we have available. All of our current packages are a fixed price for your contract length.

Thanks
    Emma - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure