Forum Home » Consumer Rights

Sold my car 'as seen' then problem ...

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Sold my car 'as seen' then problem ...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
14 replies 1.7K views
J_BJ_B Forumite
4.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
I've sold my 56 reg Nissan X-Trail today

I wrote him a bill and we both signed it.
It says "sold as seen and driven"

Money in bank at midday, guy came and collected car at 2pm

About half an hour later it conked out on him on his way home. :(

Long story short - his local garage couldn't deal with it and told him that he should reject it as 'not fit for purpose'

I have arranged for it to be collected and taken to my local garage (who have serviced it for the last 6/7 years) and hope that they will look at it in the morning - I hope it's something simple.

I *think* that I wasn't obliged to do anything to help, but just felt that it was an honourable thing to do - was I legally right?

Replies

• waamowaamo Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you a car dealer?
    This space for hire.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    I've sold my 56 reg Nissan X-Trail today

I wrote him a bill and we both signed it.
    It says "sold as seen and driven"

Money in bank at midday, guy came and collected car at 2pm

About half an hour later it conked out on him on his way home. :(

Long story short - his local garage couldn't deal with it and told him that he should reject it as 'not fit for purpose'

I have arranged for it to be collected and taken to my local garage (who have serviced it for the last 6/7 years) and hope that they will look at it in the morning - I hope it's something simple.

I *think* that I wasn't obliged to do anything to help, but just felt that it was an honourable thing to do - was I legally right?

WAS there anything wrong with it that you knew about?

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive...

Put yourself in you buyer's shoes. How would you feel if you had just bought a car, it died 30 minutes into ownership, and the seller said "tough sh*t"?

Probably best to wait and see what the garage says.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    pinkshoes wrote: »

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive...

Put yourself in you buyer's shoes. How would you feel if you had just bought a car, it died 30 minutes into ownership, and the seller said "tough sh*t"?

Probably best to wait and see what the garage says.

How would I feel? If the car was a genuine private sale and the car was a lot cheaper than a similar one with a dealer warranty I'd accept its a gamble I lost.

A buyer has plenty of opportunity to fully inspect, test a car and ask questions before purchase. If they turn up, pay cash and drive away that's tough on them. Caveat Emptor applies.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    waamo wrote: »
    Are you a car dealer?

No.Privately owned car. Private sale.

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive....
    I was unaware of any problems.
    It's a 12 year old car with 106K miles on the clock

I haven't said tough, I've arranged to have it towed back to 'my' garage.

daveyjp wrote: »
    How would I feel? If the car was a genuine private sale and the car was a lot cheaper than a similar one with a dealer warranty I'd accept its a gamble I lost.

A buyer has plenty of opportunity to fully inspect, test a car and ask questions before purchase. If they turn up, pay cash and drive away that's tough on them. Caveat Emptor applies.

Rather embarrassingly I joked as I was saying 'sold as seen' that it could break down on the way home. I also suggested that the 03 reg Land/Range Rover that they arrived in could do the same and we all nodded in agreement.

Will cross fingers and hope it's something simple :o
  • Les79Les79 PPR
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    daveyjp wrote: »

Message me if you are looking for a vehicle in the near future :)

I'll do it "a lot cheaper" for you and it should last for just under 30 mins without conking out :)
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 10:37PM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 10:37PM
    I'm no car expert but I feel," sold as seen " is code for its dodgy, but ive got my money now.
    like some acquaintances who told me they went to car boot sales nowhere near their home to sell dodgy electrical goods they can't be confronted about.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm no car expert but I feel," sold as seen " is code for its dodgy, but ive got my money now.
    like some acquaintances who told me they went to car boot sales nowhere near their home to sell dodgy electrical goods they can't be confronted about.

I'm no car expert either - the car was in full working order and had never conked out on me in the 9½ years that I've owned it.

I've never sold a car privately before but I've read on several websites that 'sold as seen' is a way of covering myself

http://www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

I don't have any acquaintances who sell dodgy stuff at car boot sales, sorry. ;)
  • I would get a quote from the garage, if it's not worth the money to repair, offer his money back and see if you can scrap the car or sell for parts. If it's expensive to repair then I doubt it would be worth your time and money repairing it
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive.

In private sales, all that's required is that the seller has good title (i.e. owns the goods to be able to sell them), and that the goods match the advertised description (including anything said verbally during contract negotiations).

If OP was the owner, and the goods matched the description (i.e. he was unaware of any impending issues), then he could take the hard line of "tough". However he appears to be doing the honourable thing even though he has no legal liability to do so.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoaM wrote: »
    If OP was the owner, and the goods matched the description (i.e. he was unaware of any impending issues), then he could take the hard line of "tough". However he appears to be doing the honourable thing even though he has no legal liability to do so.

I was the owner (for 9½ years!) and I was unaware of any impending issues.
    It was a bit old and noisy as you may expect for a nearly 13 year old car with 106K miles on the clock.

The purchaser hasn't go angry with me (yet!)and so I hope we can resolve the issue amicably.

:)