Forum Home » Techie Stuff

SSD capacity question

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

SSD capacity question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
19 replies 1K views
tonygoldtonygold Forumite
811 posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
just fitted a Crucial 480GB MX500 SSD to my laptop. makes the whole experience so much better - faster response to opening programs etc.

one question: in 'my computer' when right clicking on the SSD the capacity is shown as only 430GB. is that right? or is that the capacity not including the operating system that i cloned over (windows 10 home 64 bit)?

many thanks.

Replies

• Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hard drive and solid state manufacturers usually measure the capacity in a different way to the operating system, the manufacturers calculate a gigabyte as 1000000000 bytes whereas the operating system calculates one GB as 1073741824 bytes. This means a hard drive or solid state drive will usually show a lower capacity within the operating system.
  • tonygoldtonygold Forumite
    811 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    The hard drive and solid state manufacturers usually measure the capacity in a different way to the operating system, the manufacturers calculate a gigabyte as 1000000000 bytes whereas the operating system calculates one GB as 1073741824 bytes. This means a hard drive or solid state drive will usually show a lower capacity within the operating system.

thanks john but this is just over 10% lower than stated capacity. just checking if that is about right?
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does disk management say ? (right click on the windows icon on the task bar)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • stragglebodstragglebod Forumite
    1K posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you cloned the old disk it probably also cloned over the hidden partition that stores the factory restore image. So that'll reduce the space available on your C drive.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Samsung 500GB SSD shows in Windows as ~465GB ... ~7% reduction. (Clean install, not a clone of an existing disk).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    811 posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for replies. i'm glad now i didn't go for the 256GB option as i would have had very little space left. as it is i am still showing 150GB of free space so that will last me. i keep my music on an external drive and could do the same with my pictures also i suppose.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As well as the 8 byte problem, Windows likely has a small system partition hidden from you. If you follow debitcardmayhem's advice, you should see your disk with the big 430GB partition, and a small (500MB?) partition.
    811 posts
    ✭✭✭
    almillar wrote: »
    As well as the 8 byte problem, Windows likely has a small system partition hidden from you. If you follow debitcardmayhem's advice, you should see your disk with the big 430GB partition, and a small (500MB?) partition.

thank you.
    in disk management the following are listed:
    260MB EFI System partition
    430.79GB NTFS C:
    958MB Primary Partition
    33.66GB Recovery Primary Partition

all are showing as 'healthy'.

many thanks for the assistance.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoaM wrote: »
    My Samsung 500GB SSD shows in Windows as ~465GB ... ~7% reduction. (Clean install, not a clone of an existing disk).

It's not a 7% reduction at all. The issue with hard drive capacities that are smaller than the label comes about because they are manufactured as an unformatted capacity and are due to rounding.

Potted history lesson - 8 bits in a byte, 1024 byes is 1 kilobyte. 1024 Kiloboytes = 1 megabyte, 1024 megabytes is 1 Gigabyte.

So: 500GB = 500,000,000,000 (bytes) / (1024*1024*1024) = 465.66 GB.

For a 480Gb the same calculation comes out as 447.03Gb, so presumably the OP has cloned an existing partition. Sometimes what happens is in a straight clone if the original partition was smaller it can get enlarged, which I think is what's happened as that system partition in Windows 10 is typically only 100Mb IIRC so they all get upsized.
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    tonygold wrote: »
    in disk management the following are listed:
    260MB EFI System partition
    430.79GB NTFS C:
    958MB Primary Partition
    33.66GB Recovery Primary Partition
    A clean install would have done ...a clean install and not "wasted" space with a 34GB recovery partition. There's no need for a recovery partition these days - Windows10 (I assume this is what you have!) is so easy to (re) install. Obviously, you would have had to backup documents and any installed program keys first.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.