IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Surge in parking tickets issued by private firms - MSE News

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 1:00PM
    Options
    why is there a charector on the parking Cos keypad that is not used by the DVLA

all there to confuse things ,
    So you're seriously telling me that, in your opinion, there is one digit and six letters, on this plate?

land_rover_discovery_3_rear.jpg

And one digit and five letters on this one?
    100RUS-02.jpg

It's a simple yes or no question.

If that's too hard, let me ask the same question a different way...

Is the Disco's reg Bravo November Oscar Five Oscar Oscar Victor, or Bravo November Zero Five Oscar Oscar Victor?
    Is the Jag's reg One Oscar Oscar Romeo Uniform Sierra, or One Zero Zero Romeo Uniform Sierra?
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the jag is supposed to resemble One Zero Zero Romeo Uniform Sierra however as zero does not exist at the dvla , as far as DVLA searches go its actually One Oscar Oscar Romeo Uniform Sierra,

to prove this go to https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla and try using zero and oscar
  • AdrianC
    Options
    OK, so perhaps the Jag was a poor example, since that plate appears to be on retention right now.

But since pre-suffix plates never had five letters and one digit - they had a maximum of three letters with a maximum of three digits (or four digits and two letters), the format you ascribe simply never existed.

How about another Jag for you...?
    Jaguar_Mark_IV_1948_7766091378.jpg
    Are you suggesting that the letter O-Oscar at the end of this is an age identifier from the mid 70s? If so, from when, given that N-November suffixes were superceded directly by P-Papa at the start of August 1976?

Or are you simply dissembling frantically with no clue about how UK plates are formatted, to try to pretend it's anybody's problem but yours?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    whatever..............
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I'll take that as a "yes" to "dissembling frantically with no clue", then.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Back on topic.

Let's be clear AdrianC do you think a £100 charge for entering a O instead of 0 is either fair or proportionate?
  • AdrianC
    edited 22 May 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Let's be clear AdrianC do you think a £100 charge for entering a O instead of 0 is either fair or proportionate?
    There are three questions you're conflating here.

1. Is £100 a fair penalty for breaching the parking conditions? I have no idea, because I wasn't there. But whatever it is, it should be clearly publicised on-site. If you don't like it, park elsewhere. Their site, their rules.

2. Is entering the wrong registration a blanket opt-out? No. Whether it's simply a typo of whatever kind or putting the reg of your other car in.

3. Is it somebody else's fault if you put the wrong registration in? No. Grow up and take some responsibility.

And, as a bonus... From what twhitehousescat said - "tried to charge me" - I presume the penalty was quashed when he explained the circumstances, so he didn't actually have to pay the £100 for the error he still cannot admit he made.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    None of us on the parking board pay the scammers £100 - of course not!

AdrianC you are arguing in favour of the lowest industry who operate an outrageous scam every day. Unbelievable that you seem happy to join their blame culture.

Of course a parking scammer's keypad doesn't need to have a letter O and a zero!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    AdrianC you are arguing in favour of the lowest industry who operate an outrageous scam every day.
    No, I am not. Try reading what I've actually written.

I am arguing that if you extract the michael by parking where you shouldn't, or make a mistake when you follow the car park operator's rules, then at least man up and admit it, instead of crying about how it's everybody else's fault.

If you don't like the car park operator's rules, then vote with your feet, and take your business somewhere else.

No more, no less than that. Surely that's not too hard, is it?

Why shouldn't they use 0 and O, given both are in use on plates? It's really not hard to understand which is on your plate, and DVLA's online services won't work either if you get it wrong.

Again, for the benefit of the hard of thinking...
    Here's two plates, both perfectly legitimately and correctly formatted, one 1965-issued, one 2006-issued. (They may or may not have ever been issued, they may or may not still be extant. They are an illustration...)
    AB06 OOC
    ABO 600C
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    the example you have quoted above (psj260) relates to a vehicle made and sold before january 1963 , after which point we went to a 7 format , prior to 1993 it was possible just to have 2 digets

in 1963 the dvla standardised the system and removed simular and odd digits . (I and Q* etc)

1963 is something like 55 yrs ago

very few (in relation to 63 on) vehicles are actually on the road

* Q is issued to kit car type vehicles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills