We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Feeding border plants / shrubs / flowers

Options
aj9648
aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi

Quick question - how and when do you feed your border plants and shrubs ? ( like you feed your lawn)

Also best time to feed?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,355 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Personally i don't fed them at all, except the roses in Spring

Shrubs can look after themselves and find their own nutrients

I do however chuck old compost, tea leaves or whatever on the borders when it's around

I suppose if you have some choice specimen or growing for show feeding could help

The only reason to feed lawns is because you are constantly removing growth, this does not normally apply to borders
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends on what you are feeding them with.

Some fertiliser are used once in the spring , others in the autumn, others used more often. Read the instructions on the packet.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quick answer: never.

I improve the soil, but I don't think that well-rotted horse poo and bedding contains many nutrients.
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borders get a mulch with however much compost I've managed to make/scrounge, and not used on the veggies, but otherwise that's it.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I have last couple of years with blood, fish and bone, Roses are feed twice a year spring and Autumn, As I did a hard cut back so fed them them and recently again as I had mulched with bark last Autumn .
    The front is all new planting so will feed them at least for the first few years until properly established.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never; the best the borders get is a bit of wood ash from the fire in winter. That said, I'm not very neat; I dump leaves and other waste under plants and let nature sort it all out.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    all year I collect t bags up and split around plants. Also collect coffee grounds from Waitrsoe and do he same. Also make compost and put round plants in spring and autumn. works for me.

Also take friend's used grow bags and do the same.which

!
    local council sells cheap compost they make and once a year it's a pound bag so I stock up

In summer pour used washing up water on new plants
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    all year I collect t bags up and split around plants.
    Perhaps you have posh tea. So do I, but the bags are still plasticised, so wherever I might put them, they would still be kicking around five years later.

The vast majority of tea bags do not compost. Maybe that will change, but it was only last week I saw a company proudly showing their manufacturing process on prime time telly, including the bit where they plasticise the natural product.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,355 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    local council sells cheap compost they make and once a year it's a pound bag so I stock up

You're lucky, round here the council compost is more expensive than buying from a s/market. The Council stuff is £3 a bag last time I looked
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,914 Forumite
    Options
    I shamble round with a bag of chicken pellets after the first massive weeding of spring in the hope this will give the remaining plants encouragement.

I make time to ensure the fruit trees get something to help, even if it's just a growbag I didn't use for seeds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport