Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019?

29 replies 27.1K views

Replies

• noclafnoclaf Forumite
    313 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I had a reliable cleaner at £10 p/HR but due to an injury they are no longer able to come. There are so many agencies at higher prices which.I don't have an issue with as such but do worry about reliability/honesty esp when you are away at work and have a vunerable relative at home. I've relied on word of mouth so far but doesn't always work if nobody is aware.of anyone in the local area etc
  • General_ApplauseGeneral_Applause Forumite
    193 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Great advice - thanks!

So we reckon £11-£12p/h might be the average price. It was approx. £7p/h the last time I paid for a private domestic cleaner. So the rate hasn't gone up that much since then! :-)

No offence to the poster General Applause, but I don't think we'd pay someone £15 to clean our house unless they were very good at the actual job as well as very reliable! That would minimise my management time of the job = good. In which case the money spent would be worthwhile. And sadly you don't find out how good & reliable staff are till they've done the job for a while.

No offence taken. Personally, I have over 10 years NHS experience, cleaning everything from offices to operating theatres.

I pick and choose the houses I want to clean and I have no shortage of clients, many of whom have offered to sing my praises to anyone wanting references.

At the end of the day, you pay an average price and you will get an average cleaner.
  • Oxid8ukOxid8uk Forumite
    192 posts
    I pay my cleaner £13/hr (East Midlands) and she is self-employed. She does mine for 2.5hrs every 2 weeks (4 bed house). She is amazing and very thorough - I don't know what I would do without her!
  • Oxid8ukOxid8uk Forumite
    192 posts
    At the end of the day, you pay an average price and you will get an average cleaner.
    Completely agree with this. I pay more an hour compared to what other people on the street pay for their cleaners and they are always complaining about things being missed/forgotten, being unreliable etc. I have never had such issues with my cleaner. It's worth the extra fiver every two weeks to have the job done properly.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oxid8uk wrote: »
    I pay my cleaner £13/hr (East Midlands) and she is self-employed. She does mine for 2.5hrs every 2 weeks (4 bed house). She is amazing and very thorough - I don't know what I would do without her!

Gosh she must be good. 2.5 hours a fortnight on a 4 bed house.

I live alone in a 2 bed house, I have my cleaner in for 2 hours every week, so 4 hours in a fortnight.

I pay mine £12 & I supply materials.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay £12.50/hour and my cleaner provides a lot of her own cleaning stuff too.

Reliability is more important that being thorough! My cleaner certainly isn't the greatest, but the main bits get done well, and she always turns up every week.

I used to live in Oxford and had an amazing cleaner, but she was SO unreliable! So annoying.

I'm in Oxfordshire.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 9:12AM
    Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 9:12AM
    It is more important to get a good one than a cheap one.

I employed a cleaner a few years ago. The first thing she said to me when she answered my advertisement, was that she had references. I thought that was a bit strange as I had not asked for them.

She took two hours to clean a set of venetian blinds in a bay window - a job which usually took me half an hour. She could not do any hoovering because she had a bad back. AT the time I was seeing a chiropractor for my own bad back that I had injured a few years earlier and was coping with the hoovering by bending my knees and hoovering from side to side rather than back an forward. She would bring her daughter along sometimes because she said she could only work half the usually hours that day, but the daughter was even slower than her mother. The list goes on.

I put up with it for a couple of months as I was working (from home) about 12 hours a day and looking after a sick relative at the same time and could not take the time to get someone else.
  • trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My cleaner charges £13.50 per hour, so 2 hours costs me £27.

I'm just amazed at what she gets done in 2 hours!! Hoovers upstairs and downstairs + stairs, dusts ditto, washes kitchen floor and cleans the bathroom. I started using her because a bad hip meant lugging the hoover around was difficult. The hip has been better for a while now...
  • kkgree1kkgree1 Forumite
    327 posts
    My parents pay £12 per hour but that's reasonable for our area (Cambridge) where you can easily pay £15 - 18 per hour for cleaning. They have 2 hours a week for a 4 bed house.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (March 2019) £5,335
  • oystercatcheroystercatcher Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use an agency and pay £12.95 an hour, £10/hr of which goes to the cleaner I send the agency fees off separately once a month they did want a standing order set up but I prefer to have control as we often have holidays or change the arrangement for other reasons so payments aren't always the same .

The first two people the agency sent weren't reliable or efficient but the lady I have now is brilliant. I wasn't keen to use an agency but couldn't find anyone myself and now at least they will find me someone else if needed and they have insurance.

I have two hours a week for a three bed house.