I want to break free....

in Debt Free Diaries
165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midweek update and I'm on page 3 of my diary already!

1. No further response from Debt 3.

2. No further response from the former DMC, must check when 8 + 4 weeks are up and prepare my FSO letter.

3. No further response from L to my PPI complaints.

4. Will definitely be finishing and posting my FSO and ICO letters this week. Slap me with a wet cold fish if I don't!

5. No spare pennies at the moment due to rent/bills coming out, but will see what happens after they have all been paid. If nothing spare, then I just need to wait for the following week wages.

Positive ending for today:

1. Enrolled at Uni to commence a degree in October, really looking forward to that as I've embraced one department at my temp work place and got stuck in.

Ordered a few books so I can start to get into a routine ready for when I am studying. I've 17 assessments for my first module and have put all the dates in my diary.

Let's see what my future holds :D

Debt balances stand at:

1. £697.96 (£70pm) (CCJ)
    2. £1877.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)

Money towards debts/monthly installments stands at:

£450.51
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekend update as the postie has just been!

1. No further response from D3.

2. No further response from L to my PPI complaints.

3. Response from my former DMC! They upheld two of my three complaints and have offered to refund one month of their 'cut' of my former payment to them.

It is under £50.

I do feel the offer is an insult, but at the same time wonder if I took it further would a higher offer be made, how long it would drag on for and more importantly can I be bothered with it.

At the same time, if I accepted the offer, it means I only have to save an additional £100 to pay my CCJ off next month.

Any 'settlement offers' I receive are being put towards paying my debts off and not going into my pocket.

I have a few days to think and make a decision.

4. Finalising my FOS and ICO letters tomorrow re: T and the anti-ML search, they are pretty much done, I just wanted to give them the final once over.

Positive ending for today:

1. I'm all enrolled at uni, have been buying a few used books and reading them. This is just so I can start to learn some basics and get into a routine of reading / learning / revising for a few hours each day, longer at the weekends.

I'm now on my second book since finishing work yesterday and have another lined up for when this one is done!

No changes to debts. My DPA account won't alter until all my bills have been paid this month and I know exactly how much money I have left til Friday (payday).
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What degree are you planning to do? Good luck with the job applications.
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1707 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 263 payments to go. Now £201357. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What degree are you planning to do? Good luck with the job applications.

Thank you, I will land the right role at some point!

I start Biology degree in October, which should be great fun and an experience in itself :)
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    End of week update:

1. No further response from D3.

2. No further response from L re: PPI complaints.

3. Reviewing my letters to the FOS and ICO re: ANTI-ML search done by a former bank I was with.

4. I'm still honestly not sure what to do about the offer from the former DMC. I do feel it's an insult, but don't know if I've the inclination to tell them. Part of me just wants it done and dusted, part of me thinks I've paid them loads over the years and want a better offer!

5. Had a job interview this week, but as expected I didn't get it. Extremely positive feedback from the panel, which was good.

6. I will find out in a week or so how long this assignment will last. Starting to put myself under a lot of pressure to find a permanent role :(

Positive ending for the day:

1. My first year of my degree is paid for, thanks to a student grant and grant from the uni.

2. I've seven books to get through that I've purchased before my uni books arrive. I have already read ten. Yes, I've been snapping up books from eBay so I'm not going into this degree blind.

3. My brother is transferring one of his bank accounts to one I bank with, just waiting for him to use the referral so we both make a few quid; mine is going towards my DPA.

4. Submitted another four job applications this week and have been advised there are two going live soon that I would be really interested in.

5. I did squirrel some of last week's wages away into my savings and DPA, threw some more in today when I got paid :D

Debt balances stand at:

1. £697.96 (£70pm) (CCJ)

£468.99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Think I'd counter-offer with the DMC, and see what they say.

The worst they can do ( I think ) is disagree and say their original offer is their highest offer, then at least you've tried :) x
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    Think I'd counter-offer with the DMC, and see what they say.

The worst they can do ( I think ) is disagree and say their original offer is their highest offer, then at least you've tried :) x

That's what I'm toying with, I'm thinking ask for 3 months refund and worst case is I could get 2 :) although 6 months refund would be what I would settle for!

I forgot to add in my other post a couple of people are selling laptops like mine, so mine is getting a factory reset and going up for sale! Don't need it as I bagged the PC set up for uni. Don't have anything else to sell.
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urm, a shocked weekend update I guess.

1. I am shaking as I cannot believe it, I've read and re-read the letter and I'm speechless.

Loan PPI complaint UPHELD. That I expected. However, it's the actual amount they are compensating me!

I've carefully checked and there is no mention of offsetting, I guess they couldn't offset it against the CCJ.

2. Time to look into reclaiming some of the tax from the interest element of the compensation payment as that's over £650 alone!

3. Going to accept the former DMC offer when the loan PPI compensation hits my account as that's small change now!

4. CCJ will be paid this month.

I AM going to be debt free in 2019 and be able to get a mortgage!

Debt balances stand at:

1. £697.96 (£70pm) (CCJ)

£470.39
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is really good news. I recently got PPI refunds for some credit cards I had about 12 years ago and I, too, was astonished at the amounts repaid. I wasn't even going to try to claim as I wasn't sure I had PPI. Well worth checking.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really good news. I recently got PPI refunds for some credit cards I had about 12 years ago and I, too, was astonished at the amounts repaid. I wasn't even going to try to claim as I wasn't sure I had PPI. Well worth checking.

Thank you :)

About an hour after posting my update I burst out crying, relief that I will finally be free and so grateful that I am getting a lump sum.

I have re-read the letter again very carefully and although I only believed PPI was on my first loan, they actually put it on two subsequent ones, that really annoyed me. Especially when I saw the amount I am getting refunded when broken down and how much PPI I have paid, then it having a knock-on effect with the loans after that which didn't have PPI!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed they conclude the CC complaint soon, so I can draw a line under that one too :)

But, I've been walking around in a daze since the postie turned up, as it doesn't feel real, guess it will do when the cheque or transfer arrives :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides