We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Please Help! urgent gardener wanted

Options
Hi
Can anyone please recommend a cheap reliable gardener North London who can work weekends?
I urgently require help to weed, prune, plant & tidy. Thank you

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just north of London.

The majority of houses on my road have regular gardeners, I have never seen one working on the weekend.

Try your local facebook groups for recommendations, but you may need to accept a mid week slot.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    North London?

Cheap?

Works weekends?
    :rotfl:
  • Lavendablu
    Lavendablu Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Surely I don’t have to wait 30 plus years until i retire and i will home to watch jeremy kyle everyday!

North London gardeners don’t work weekends? Hmm interesting! I did't realise I had put such a silly post. Mon-Fri 08.00 -19.00 I'm in work mode Thanks anyway
    Regards
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,945 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lavendablu wrote: »
    North London gardeners don’t work weekends? Hmm interesting! I did't realise I had put such a silly post. Mon-Fri 08.00 -19.00 I'm in work mode Thanks anyway
    Regards

Do you actually need to be there while s/he works ?

I've not employed a jobbing gardener myself, but I've always presumed you'd have an initial meeting to agree whats needed , payment and hours and then just leave them to get on with it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Do you actually need to be there while s/he works ?

I've not employed a jobbing gardener myself, but I've always presumed you'd have an initial meeting to agree whats needed , payment and hours and then just leave them to get on with it.

I’m guessing the issue is leaving access to the back garden open all day.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    We have a gardener but he only works weekdays. We leave the gate open when he is coming and pay him by bank transfer.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lavendablu wrote: »
    Regards
    I laughed because I used to do manual jobs like cleaning, gardening, tidying-up etc in North London. I didn't need to offer services cheaply, as there was plenty of work. I made enough money on Monday - Friday to manage without working weekends.

That was exactly 50 years ago.
  • Lavendablu
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I’m not looking for a Monty Don, after years of neglecting my little garden and feeling very guilty about it as I am not greenfingered AT ALL.

I’ve wasted money in the past buying plants that i’ve pruned too much or too little ect, or I’ve simply just not had the time, thatsLife!

So I would like to extend my desperation to any pensioners out there who have an abundance of experience with gardening or may be don’t have access to an allotment? but would like to keep busy,TRY to teach me or maybe not! & earn a bit.

I would even offer a small patch of soil for them to grow their own veg. Wow what an offer!

Can veg grow in shady areas???? you see I haven't a scooby doo.

Any takers please!

Enjoy your bank holiday gardening? because you know what your doing Lol

Regards
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you want to go down that route an ad in your local newsagent would do just as well....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Lavendablu
    Options
    Yes Thanks, I hoped this avenue would be quicker

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts