PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking on Shared Driveway within my Boundary

Options
I have been having the problems with my neighbour opposite and want clarity so I know where I stand if I am to sell. The driveway is shared but within my boundary. We park our cars on the driveway and occasionally have visitors who park there (which doesn’t not block access to my neighbours drive) but in his opinion makes it less convenient to get in and out of his driveway. There is no mention that parking on the driveway is prohibited in my deeds. He has complained about me parking there and has asked our visitors to move and has now suggested that I shouldn’t park there either. He has put his deeds and a letter through our door and as yet, I have not replied. Since then, things have escalated as he reversed into our bins (which was on our lawn not on the driveway) and drove off without picking it up.

He is under the impression that the driveway doesn’t belong to either party even though I have told him that it is within mine. I am reluctant to speak to him especially without being sure of where I stand and as such have not shown him my deeds. I am hoping that I am understanding my deeds correctly and that I am within my rights to park there (as long as I don’t block access)? I have also download land registry documents to make sure where his boundary is. I would really appreciate any guidance on this as want the harassment to end. Thanks in advance

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is a shared driveway then NOBODY should be parking on it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Summer88 wrote: »
    and that I am within my rights to park there (as long as I don’t block access)?
    Surely the whole point of the "shared" bit is that it's available for access by either party? Which it obviously isn't if either of you park on it. The fact you're the owner doesn't come into it. Do your deeds specify which part your neighbour has access rights over, and are you parking on that bit?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The driveway is shared but within my boundary.

We park our cars on the driveway and occasionally have visitors who park there (which doesn’t not block access to my neighbours drive) but in his opinion makes it less convenient to get in and out of his driveway.

He is under the impression that the driveway doesn’t belong to either party even though I have told him that it is within mine.

You may own the land but, if it's a typical right of way, your neighbour has rights over it - your land is the Servient Tenement
    (land that is burdened with an easement that benefits neighbouring land) and his is the Dominant Tenement (land that benefits from an easement that burdens neighbouring land).

He has the right to pass over your land and you can't block him or make his access difficult.

You might think your parking isn't a problem; he obviously does and he is the one with the right of free movement over your land.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have been having the problems with my neighbour opposite and want clarity so I know where I stand if I am to sell. The driveway is shared but within my boundary. We park our cars on the driveway and occasionally have visitors who park there (which doesn’t not block access to my neighbours drive) but in his opinion makes it less convenient to get in and out of his driveway.

And I bet it does.
    There is no mention that parking on the driveway is prohibited in my deeds. He has complained about me parking there and has asked our visitors to move and has now suggested that I shouldn’t park there either. He has put his deeds and a letter through our door and as yet, I have not replied. Since then, things have escalated as he reversed into our bins (which was on our lawn not on the driveway) and drove off without picking it up.

He's probably making the point that you are making it awkward for him to park.

He is under the impression that the driveway doesn’t belong to either party even though I have told him that it is within mine. I am reluctant to speak to him especially without being sure of where I stand and as such have not shown him my deeds. I am hoping that I am understanding my deeds correctly and that I am within my rights to park there (as long as I don’t block access)? I have also download land registry documents to make sure where his boundary is. I would really appreciate any guidance on this as want the harassment to end. Thanks in advance

Stop parking on the driveway then. You shouldn't be inconveniencing him by parking there just because you can and think he can squeeze by.
    And, even if you are inconsiderate enough you dont care, do want a registered dispute with your neighbour when you come to sell?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no mention that parking on the driveway is prohibited in my deeds.

I doubt it says that you can't put up a tent or a row of planters or any other thing that may block or reduce the ROW - deeds usually give the right to pass - anything that stops that is prohibited.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May 2019 at 6:02PM
    Options
    1) where exactly are the boundaries to your and his properties, as defined in your respective Title documents and Plans?

2) What exactly is the wording in each of your respective Title documents regarding ROW, access etc - please quote.

3) do the Title documents refer to other documents which specify more fully (eg 'the Conveyance dated xx/xx/xxxx betwen A & B')? If so, what exactly do those documents say?
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell him you are planning on digging it up on his side for “repairs” and that you are not sure how many months it will be to get it finished if he doesn’t stop whinging.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell him you are planning on digging it up on his side for “repairs” and that you are not sure how many months it will be to get it finished if he doesn’t stop whinging.

The certain path to a formal dispute through a solicitor I'd have thought...and the OP seems to be planning on selling.....
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think you actually are having problems with your neighbour it sounds as if your neighbour is having problems with you. You keep parking on his right of access so that he can't use it.

You are causing problems with his rights.

You can't sell your house with offstreet parking on this drive because there isn't any parking there it is an access for you neighbour.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been having the problems with my neighbour opposite and want clarity so I know where I stand if I am to sell. The driveway is shared but within my boundary. We park our cars on the driveway and occasionally have visitors who park there (which doesn’t not block access to my neighbours drive) but in his opinion makes it less convenient to get in and out of his driveway. There is no mention that parking on the driveway is prohibited in my deeds. He has complained about me parking there and has asked our visitors to move and has now suggested that I shouldn’t park there either. He has put his deeds and a letter through our door and as yet, I have not replied. Since then, things have escalated as he reversed into our bins (which was on our lawn not on the driveway) and drove off without picking it up.

What do his deeds say?

What do your deeds say?

Nobody can give you guidance without knowing exactly what the deeds say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business