PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yellow Label Reduced Items

Options
Mistral001
Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 3 May 2019 at 10:11AM in Old style MoneySaving
I usually only shop in the big supermarkets as my local shops are so expensive. At Tesco's I sometimes get the yellow label reduced items which I am happy with generally.

A few months ago I ran out of something and went to one of the local shops and noticed that they now do yellow label reduced items so I decided to go to them more often just to avail of the yellow label reductions. I now find that there are two local shops which do yellow label reductions, but the amazing thing is that on three out of four occasions when I have bought yellow label items from these shops, I have noticed that they have made mistakes at the check out in that they have run up the full price or not the fully reduced price at the till.

It might be through incompetence that this has happened, but because of the frequency I often have my doubts. I am in the habit of working out roughly what I will have to pay before I go to the checkout, so that I can pick up any discrepancies, but I am quite sure that many people will not do this and end up paying a lot more than they should pay.

Has anybody else found this a problem?

Comments

• Mistral001
    edited 3 May 2019 at 11:55AM
    Options
    The above is a sort of rant, but suppose that it is also a warning that mistakes can be made by shops even in this digital and cashless society.

I hear so often nowadays people saying that they never check the cost of what they buy and just hand over a card. I just wonder how many people actually pay more than they should and never know because they assume that digital machines cannot make mistakes.
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it has happened to me, if the original barcode is uncovered then it easily happens. I go to self service tills and make sure I put my finger over the original barcode.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lily54 wrote: »
    Yes it has happened to me, if the original barcode is uncovered then it easily happens. I go to self service tills and make sure I put my finger over the original barcode.
    I've had this as well, it's because original bar code is not covered.

I try & put the YS item down with the YS uppermost do the assistant can see it

Not just small shops, it's happens in A*da as well
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mistral001
    Options
    In my particular cases with the small shops I do not think it was to do with the old label being read. I am familiar with that in the big supermarkets. I think it is something to do with the small shops' systems not being geared up for it as when I queried the discrepancies with the person on the check-out they mentioned something about there is a procedure that they have to go through. I think is to do with them not entering the new price properly into the system.

Apart from the yellow labels, I also found one shop which had ordinary special offer stickers on items and I was charged the full price at the check out. It was only 50p in an approx. £10 total but I was lucky enough to pick it up on the receipt. I wonder just how many people never pick such things up.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to go to a store that had a policy where if you were charged full price on a sale item, you got it for free. They stopped doing that years ago but it caused everyone to watch the monitor as they were being checked out in order to pick up on overcharged sale items.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Kaylataste
    Kaylataste Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My local co-op is notorious for this,not so much on reduced stock with stickers but with actual price drops or special offers. I normally have a general idea of how much my shopping is going to be,but I will only go to that particular shop if I’m desperate!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I too tend to use self service tills so watch what has been rung up.
    But if I use a manned till, I stop and check my receipt before leaving the store.

I agree that it's probably that the reduced sticker hasn't een stuck over the original barcode.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My elderly mum noticed she was being charged double price for a couple of books of stamps at her local corner shop. The owner made quite a fuss about claiming it was a mistake. When she mentioned the incident to my son in the Police he said that he very much doubted it was a mistake and the shop was 'known' to the Police.

Needless to say we don't use this shop anymore and go to the big supermarket. It's such a shame . I suspect many who can't or don't bother to add up the total of their shop are ripped off in this way.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Has anybody else found this a problem?

You do have to watch what they do, that's true. Many rely on a manual system of them pressing a button.

I keep any YS items separate, and all together. I also try to see if I see them pressing any button, or whatever - and I check the receipt too and/or know precisely how much my bill will be and if it differs to query it before I pay.

It's never guaranteed.... all tills/prices can be in the system wrongly, even if it's a regular item, so YS is taking your life into your hands... and it's embarrassing if you're pointing out a 20p reduction, but "it's the point" isn't it :)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have reminded me that I have a receipt, a sleeve for a ready meal and a label from a yoghurt in my bag. £1.89 worth where I was overcharged on a yellow sticker at m & s!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure