We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Metcam

Options
Can anyone tell me the dose of metcam i need to give my dog, she is an American bull dog and about 55kg

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Has your vet not written instructions on the packet?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The syringe that comes in the box with it is marked with weights rather than ml so you just fill it to the correct weight marker.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presume you mean Metacam. As it's prescription only you need to check with your Vet. Our Staffie who weighed 22kg had arthritis and had a dose of 10 on the syringe daily.
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    The syringe that comes in the box with it is marked with weights rather than ml so you just fill it to the correct weight marker.

This,
    This is how it was done ( as a starting point) with our old Shepherd before he passed away from Cancer. They can however have varying degrees of dosage as a ratio to pain.
    But in all honesty if you have got this drug the correct way through a vet then frankly you should be referring back to them.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The dose should be on the label associated with the medication. The dose usually correlates with the weight of the animal but is case specific and may be lowered in specific cases. I would consult your vet to discuss the matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure