IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim - CSB Solicitors

Hello Everyone,

So I've been reading numerous threads with some saying I should ignore a letter like this and others stating i shouldn't and in fact i should reply to them etc.
It's a letter from a so called solicitors called CSB Solicitors for a PCN I got a couple of months back for parking at Salford University and now I apparently owe £130. The client being represented by CSB Solicitors is called Parking Solutions 24 LTD and up until now I have been ignoring the letters. They have attached an Annex 2 Standard Financial Statement and also a Annex 1 Information Sheet along with a reply form. Although at the bottom of the letter it states I should send the reply form to Ultimate Customer Solutions and I have seen on another thread that this is a debt-collector company so I shouldn't send them anything. I've been given 30 days (10 have already passed) to either pay up or they "may" start court proceedings. They've also stated I cant appeal to POPLA as the period to appeal has ended.

I've ignored letters up to now but also as I live in a student accommodation and not at home which made me want to give this forum a go and post this mess on here, I haven't exactly been receiving the letters in good time which makes me wonder if I can use the "I live at a different address" defence if it comes to it? Or should I email them stating this? I have my insurance addressed at my University address but the claimant has gone through DVLA and got my details for my home address it seems. They have also attached a Statement of Account where they state additional costs could add up to £202.25 (£25 for claim issue fee, £50 for solicitors cost, £25 for judgement costs, £100 warrant issue fee and £2.25 for Solicitors cost for issue of warrant). Could anyone give me any up to date advice on this please? Thank you

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is a Letter Before Claim and should not be ignored. In fact you shouldn't have ignored the initial ticket but we are where we are.

At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. You need to read the second post in that thread as it is highly likely you are going to court.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They have also attached a Statement of Account where they state additional costs could add up to £202.25 (£25 for claim issue fee, £50 for solicitors cost, £25 for judgement costs, £100 warrant issue fee and £2.25 for Solicitors cost for issue of warrant).

Are you sure they used the word "warrant" ???

To take you to court for a parking charge, all they can charge is

£100 for parking ticket
    £25 court fee
    £50 legal fees

What judgement costs of £25 ??
    What issue of warrant for £2.25 ??
    What warrant issue of £100 ???

Seems like CSB Solicitors are totally confused as to what they can claim for and the terminology they use
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Copy their letter to the SRA

http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

and ask them if it complies with their code of conduct. Also enlist the support of your MP.

MPs are familiar with the predatory tactics of these parking companies and their bottom feeding law firms, and on On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've been given 30 days
    Does it refer to the pre-action protocol for debt claims and point you to (or enclose) 'reply forms'?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Bonez257
    Bonez257 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

£100 for parking ticket
    £25 court fee
    £50 legal fees

Seems like CSB Solicitors are totally confused as to what they can claim for and the terminology they use

Yes they definitely did, i'll upload pictures of the letter
  • Bonez257
    Does it refer to the pre-action protocol for debt claims and point you to (or enclose) 'reply forms'?

Yes it states the letter is sent persuant to the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims and they give a website where it can be found
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bonez257 wrote: »

£100 for parking ticket
    £25 court fee
    £50 legal fees

Yes they definitely did, i'll upload pictures of the letter

Judgment cost of £25 is likely to be the hearing fee. The only spurious figure in my view is the £2.25 for ‘issue of warrant’.

Bigger fish to fry than chasing chinks in armour over a couple of quid. Don’t get distracted.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Bonez257
    edited 28 April 2019 at 8:37PM
    The court costs they are threatening me with are here: hxxps://photos.app.goo.gl/o6qCgHDYciUZwAey6
  • Bonez257
    Annex sheet: hxxps://photos.app.goo.gl/YJGxPDZ7G9pijGnR7
    Annex sheet page 2: hxxps://photos.app.goo.gl/UaN5cFQgAMEtm25c8
    First page of reply form: hxxps://photos.app.goo.gl/UKg4yRnqiK2Zfp2i6
  • Bonez257
    Copy their letter to the SRA and ask them if it complies with their code of conduct. Also enlist the support of your MP.

MPs are familiar with the predatory tactics of these parking companies and their bottom feeding law firms, and on On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

I went to the "contact us" part of the website and every time I filled out the form it came up as error... no idea why but I managed to get an email address and emailed them. I will also complain to the MP, thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure