edited 3 May 2019 at 9:05AM
    Options
    According to this link
    Phil Spencer of location , location says this
    https://www.ratedpeople.com/blog/how-to-find-a-tradesmn-phil-spencer

"Rated People conduct identity checks on their tradesmen. "
    I'd also take a screenshot of that

We now know this isn't correct.
    I would be writing to Phil Spence , who is an ambassador for them, about this quote and rated peoples refusal to confirm if they vetted this builder and their refusal to discuss the matter any further.
    Also I'd write to a newspaper consumer champion
  • Lounesbo
    Lounesbo Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Hollydays. I’m not sure how to contact Phil Spencer other than via say twitter or his own website but guess it’s worth a punt. The link you provided is very helpful.
    Would you recommend a particular newspaper?
    Apologies for the delay btw.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lounesbo wrote: »
    Thanks Hollydays. I’m not sure how to contact Phil Spencer other than via say twitter or his own website but guess it’s worth a punt. The link you provided is very helpful.
    Would you recommend a particular newspaper?
    Apologies for the delay btw.

The Daily Mail. Practice your sad face, they love printing a sad face.
  • Lounesbo
    Options
    Yes I can feel a ‘watchdog’ type moan coming on which in truth I’d much rather avoid!
    I’ve now heard back from Phil Spener’s Agent and apparently he is no longer an ambassador for Ratedpeople. So I shall of course ask them to remove his endorsement.
    I’ve now emailed Experian and enquired about their vetting of said roofer. I shall see what transpires. Does anyone know who regulates/ investigates Experian/ Rated people? If I get nowhere that might be another step. Especially as another older lady was ripped off bey this so-called roofer to the tune of £650 so people like him need proper vetting.
    Thanks as always for help.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are determined to find him post 4 tells you how.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have given you quite a lot of detailed information including where to find him on a certain day, but it's up to you to act on the information youve been given.
  • smdabs
    smdabs Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the headache you're having!
    Surely ratedpeople should be looking in to this for you? You would think they too would be liable if they had not properly conducted their vetting of a tradesman. While they might outsource the responsibility to Experian, they advertise themselves to be reliable on the basis these checks are completed and therefore provide their customers with some assurance that they have someone accountable if the job is not of satisfaction.

While the issues with the roof may be down to the roofer, if they didn't do the vetting properly in the first place and in turn cannot identify or locate the tradesman, I would have thought the responsibility then falls to them?

If I were you, I would also respond to Ratedpeople again detailing the issues you're having with locating the trader and query what the point of their vetting is if a customer cannot subsequently contact the trader and therefore how this provides a customer any re-assurance whatsoever. I bet they'll soon pull their finger out if they think its going to fall to them. Chuck in the complaint that you'll be taking it to the media/social media and it may further encourage them, its unlikely they'll accept their reputation being damaged for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds.
  • Lounesbo
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies.
    I’m not willing to seek out the roofer in particular or pay to seek him out but appreciate greatly the information I’ve been provided with in order to do that.
    My issue is with Rated people and they have shut down my complaint. I’ve made the ‘threats’ to them and the issues of trusting their vetting procedures so I’m going to stick with pursuing them/Experian. I’m going to ask Tated people who regulates and monitors them.
    The birds in the roof have also had one brood and are now making their second nest. This issue might be around for a while.
    Thanks again everyone and I’ll let you know if there’s a positive outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport