Vet Prescriptions

in Pets & Pet Care
2 replies 957 views
janeysjaneys Forumite
424 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, my vet has recently refused to give me my prescription, insisting that they send it to the online shop on my behalf. This is causing problems as I can't order online without emailing a prescription as I used to do. The practice has recently changed hands and I feel they are just being awkward on this matter. What is the general practice for those of you who get vet prescriptions?

Replies

• Our vet provides a prescription for a cost. It works out a lot cheaper to buy direct yourself. The markup from 5he vets is incredible.
  • mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they can do this and you could report them. I think some vets try not to be that helpful with prescriptions if they can... I've previously had an issue and had to go back twice after the initial visit to get the vet to provide the prescription I had requested (I wanted one that would cover the full six months, and it took him 3 attempts to do this).

See Viovet - How do I buy prescription medicines

"Can my vet refuse to issue a prescription?
    Legally a vet is obliged, on request, to issue a written prescription for a medicine they would be prepared to sell to you themselves.

How do I get a prescription?
    You just have to ask your vet. The law changed in 2005 to require vets to allow their clients to buy medicines from the supplier of their choice. Your vet will be familiar with this procedure now, and will provide a signed prescription on request. To save your vet's time, you can print off a blank prescription for to take to your vet to be filled in. You then need to send this to us before we can despatch any “prescription only” medicines.

Will my vet charge me for providing a prescription?
    This used to be illegal, but now vets often do charge. You will have to check with your vet what his/her fee will be."
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides