Bt and charging for emails

Options
After years of being with BT I have found a better deal else where and am moving everything over to them. I have been informed by BT that they will be charging me £7.99 a month to continue to keep my current address, this is my main account and I use this for both personal and professional emails. The thought of having to change everything over is extreamly daunting. After research I can see that they are clearly very cleaver with this but the information I have found is all prior to GDPR law coming in. What I am wondering is the data and information within my account and my emails is my property and to be charging me a fee to access this does it not breech GDPR laws and any information that relates to myself should be accessable to me, if I cancel my account, my data and informaion will obviously still be there.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    see identical posts re charges .
    Nothing really unusual about being charged for a service .The charge is for an email service not just your data .

You get free with an account .Why should they give free to non customers .

The data on the email servers is deleted at some point as is the address .

For a business you really should not have an ISP email service its poor practice .
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GDPR does not affect this in any way whatsoever. If you cancel your BT account don't rely on BT keeping your emails. At some point they will be deleted.

Either pay what BT want to keep your email alive or change over to an email service that is completely separate from ISPs and never have this issue again in the future.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Inform your contacts you are changing from BT to another email client and will not pay them to keep your email address open there are plenty of free email clients I have one as well as gmail
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport