Recommendnation for cloud backup service

Options
I am looking for recommendations for a cloud backup service that allows automatic syncing of new files and subfolders in already uploaded folders.

OneDrive does not have this feature. Google backup and Sync keep crashing on my computer.

DropBox sales assure me they do have this feature, but I was wondering if there was a service cheaper than the $9.99 per month that they charge?

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enigmaman wrote: »
    that allows automatic syncing of new files and subfolders in already uploaded folders.
    What do you mean by "already uploaded folders"? If by "already uploaded" you mean "already synced" then it's difficult to see why you feel that OneDrive doesn't do what you require.

By the way, these cloud services are only providing a means to make your files available across multiple devices. You shouldn't be relying on them for your backups.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    ...a cloud backup service that allows automatic syncing of new files and subfolders in already uploaded folders.

OneDrive does not have this feature.
    Where does Ondrive say that it doesn't do "new files and subfolders in already uploaded folders"?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use Backblaze for backing up online.
  • Enigmaman
    Enigmaman Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What I mean is. e.g.:

I uploaded a folder to OneDrive support forum called "Work".

It syncs across all devices. I subsequently add a subfolder Work/May and maybe sub-subfolders Work\May\Accounts.

One Drive will not detect changes like this automatically. I would have to drag any new subfolders/files across automatically.

And it says so here:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/486381-one-drive-upload-all-files-within-folder-automatically-new-post.html

OK, now we've established that, does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    One Drive will not detect changes like this automatically.
    I'm tempted to say rubbish but I don't wish to offend. I've just tried it. Works fine. I guess you've tried it?

If it helps, client version is 19.043.0304.0007 (March 25, 2019).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What I mean is. e.g.:

I uploaded a folder to OneDrive support forum called "Work".

It syncs across all devices. I subsequently add a subfolder Work/May and maybe sub-subfolders Work\May\Accounts.

One Drive will not detect changes like this automatically. I would have to drag any new subfolders/files across automatically.

And it says so here:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/486381-one-drive-upload-all-files-within-folder-automatically-new-post.html

OK, now we've established that, does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
    That person is an idiot. They've synced a folder on their computer to Onedrive, then created another folder outside the synced folder, and is surprised it hasn't synced too.

I have not added the subfolders within a folder that I have already added to OneDrive, no, nor sub-subfolders subsequently added within sub-folders, etc.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been using pCloud for a few years now across multiple computers and mobile devices and have had no issues. The advantage is that you can select any folder to be synchronised, you do not have to use a specific folder.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Dataless
    Dataless Posts: 41 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never liked OneDrive

Not quite the same but I like Mega.nz, 50gb free, use it on phone and laptop but I upload manually.
  • Enigmaman
    Enigmaman Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 April 2019 at 5:18PM
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    I'm tempted to say rubbish but I don't wish to offend. I've just tried it. Works fine. I guess you've tried it?

If it helps, client version is 19.043.0304.0007 (March 25, 2019).

Well you just did say rubbish.

So why does Microsoft admit in the thread quoted above that it does not sync automatically?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sort of get the OP's point here but it's not a workflow I had ever considering using with OneDrive. Whether it's a flaw in the the program or a feature it was never supposed to have is a matter of interpretation

OneDrive works seamlessly when all of your work is in one big parent folder (usually c:\users\<name>\OneDrive) and everything is a subfolder. Any new files or folders will automatically be synced. If you don't work that way, or don't want to, then OneDrive may not be for you.

It's also important to understand the subtle difference between a sync tool and backup. If you delete a file from the online Onedrive or another client it is gone. OneDrive is not designed as a permanent backup which will keep your files forever and return your computer to a fixed point in time. Backup tools make a copy of your data, they don't sync it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure