Broken plug pin in the socket

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    thorganby wrote: »
    What is obvious to anyone who actually understands our UK BS 1363 13A plugs, is that the top pin is earth, so "turning off the power at the consumer unit" is not necessary.

They would probably also understand that the shutters will have opened as a result of a pin being in the cpc entry, thus increasing the risk of accidental contact with live parts.

Really the obvious answer is to contact an Electrician to sort the issue.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I
    Quite how you break the earth pin which is a lump of solid metal and molded to the multiway plug I don't know.

I have no idea either. Just pulled it out and did not notice until I was about to plug it back in again that a pin was missing.

And this a socket that I hardly ever remove the 3 way plug from.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The circuit should be tested with a two pole tester as well.
    A multimeter if nothing else is available. Not a non contact or "neon screwdriver" type tester although they have their uses.

You can't be too careful, and anyone who has worked on more than their own domestic electrics will have seen many things that "shouldn't be like that" Including live wiring in houses with the main isolator "Off" and live earths in sockets.

If you don't know how to test for circuits being live, and don't have the equipment.
    Get an electrician.
    It's not "MSE" to end up injured, or dead.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I would have turned the electric off at the mains before I start poking about in the socket. I don't have a death wish.

But then neither do I have the ££££ to pay someone to come in and do the job at the moment.

Another probably silly question, is it ok? If I do nothing and leave it alone for the time being.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Risteard
    calleyw wrote: »
    Another probably silly question, is it ok? If I do nothing and leave it alone for the time being.
    No, it's not acceptable to leave a known damaged outlet in situ.

Call an Electrician. That is the answer. Sometimes you just have to open your wallet.

I would recommend finding an NICEIC Approved Contractor from https://www.niceic.com
    ECA Registered Member
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    thorganby wrote: »
    Only a complete idiot would call an electrician out to resolve this simple problem.

Alas there are plenty of complete idiots out there...
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    No, it's not acceptable to leave a known damaged outlet in situ.

Call an Electrician. That is the answer. Sometimes you just have to open your wallet.

I would recommend finding an NICEIC Approved Contractor from www.niceic.com

How do we know that the socket is damaged? All we know is that a shoddy 3-way adaptor has lost a pin.

For information, the NICEIC is not the only registration body for qualified electricians, though they would like the public to think it is. ELECSA and NAPIT are others, and I think there may be one or two more that I have forgotten.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • It's interesting to wonder whether any of the appliances that were plugged into that adapter have ever been earthed.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Quite how you break the earth pin which is a lump of solid metal and molded to the multiway plug I don't know.

Even the supposedly superior MK plug was guilty of leaving pins behind in sockets at one time — and not just the earth pin. There was some kind of safety notice / recall on them circa early ‘90s.
  • Risteard
    Ectophile wrote: »
    How do we know that the socket is damaged?
    By virtue of the fact that bits are stuck in it and the shuttering is not working as designed it is fair to state that the socket-outlet is not as intended regardless of whether there is visible damage or not. It clearly is an issue which needs addressed as a matter of urgency regardless.

And in relation to your other point NICEIC Approved Contractors and ECA Registered Members are the only ones assessed against all types of electrical work, and not merely domestic work.

In the south of Ireland the appropriate equivalent body is RECI.
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills