Repairing sky+hd

My sky+had is out of warranty. I declined taking insurance. If it breaks down. I will have to pay. I am wondering whether anybody has managed to get sky q at a discount. I am not sure how it works, I do not know want to pay any extra monthly subscription Other option is to move to virgin but am still under contract. Thanks

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Whdoubt you'd get much in the way of Q without taking an expensive package

You can probably find someone to give you a (sky HD) box or pick one up for £20 of eBay anyway making the insurance pointless. Though with insurance you would probably get a q box. Expensive way though.

Or just cancel like I did ;-)
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just tell sky u will leave and they will repair for free.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,098
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sky HD boxes are repairable, if it's the hard disk which failed. They can be a bit tricky to get into, but once you're in it's just a standard computer drive (and you can even upgrade).

Alternatively you can often pick up a replacement unit for little or nothing and then just register it with Sky.

I think the Sky Q boxes remain the property of Sky, unlike the HD ones.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Since it hasn't broken down I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

I got a 1TB Q box for a one off £20 awhile back but I was on a rolling monthly contract, being within minimum term you have less leverage. If the HD+ box did break down just buy a 2nd hand one and put your VC in it. The insurance is a total waste of money.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As suggested in some posts, if box breaks down & you're out of contract just phone to cancel. I did this as I wasn't too bothered about living without sky & was really suprised when they offered me a new box rather than cancelling.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As above, Sky+HD boxes are easily repairable, 9 times out of 10 it's usually the hard drive but tbh it's not really worth it as the going rate for a used box is around £20 these days.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,274
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I've always sourced replacement boxes cheap off eBay , collection only.

Normally paid £10-20

Online to pair sky card to box , 5 minute job
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    As above, Sky+HD boxes are easily repairable, 9 times out of 10 it's usually the hard drive but tbh it's not really worth it as the going rate for a used box is around £20 these days.
    There are loads of HD boxes at Car boot sales, never found a faulty one yet, just delete all the rubbish the previous owner recorded & off you go! About £5 or less with remote usually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure