How do I know if a tyre is good quality

Options

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For £60 fitted you aren't going to get premium tyres. Not something I go too cheap on as they can save you from an accident or contribute towards one. Having said that I no longer fit Continentals because every time I got a couple of new expensive tyres I got a sodding puncture.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depending on size, £60 will definitely get you some bloody good stuff - and for common sizes, it's not going to be far from the Contis and Michs of this world.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,895 Forumite
    Options
    dannygn123 wrote: »
    Just had four new tyres. I took it to a local garage. And he told me they are £60 each. I asked him if they are decent quality he said yes. Looking at what he has put on they are called Farroad FRD16. Anyone know if these are decent quality tyres?

The EU Tyre Labelling has them rated at a C for grip in the wet but B for fuel economy, so they are a reasonable budget tyre.
    I am sure they will be ok.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173859173511?chn=ps
  • AdrianC
    Options
    The tyre ratings are self-certified.

I'm sure the ali-baba-by-the-container sellers will be quite happy to put whatever rating you want on the sticker, as well as whatever brand you want on the sidewall.
  • Jono111
    Jono111 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    I read a test sometime ago which tested a car on four different tyre brands. When they did the emergency stop test the car on budget tyres was still doing 30mph when the car with the best tyres had already stopped.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Depending on size, £60 will definitely get you some bloody good stuff - and for common sizes, it's not going to be far from the Contis and Michs of this world.
    Too late for the OP though.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

However if, like me, you have a car that is the only one in the World that takes that size because [STRIKE]Renault[/STRIKE] Nissan thought it would be funny, £60 only buys Chinese ditchfinders :(

They seem to work fine, the traction control doesn't work any more often then it did with the Continentals (which suffer tread cracking within 2 years).
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I have a car that's the only one in the world that takes that size... Michelins are £80.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sometimes I find more tyre options by ticking stuff like 'Extra load', with some cars you can they take an oversize tyre - say a 225 is supplied the rims might accept a 215 or a 235, might be worth investigating if you don't have much choice at the moment. Black Circles useful for exploring options.

The Extra Load tyres have a stiffer reinforced side wall - hard to see many disadvantages when I look at the pot holes and speed bumps.
  • Tokk
    Tokk Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes I find more tyre options by ticking stuff like 'Extra load', with some cars you can they take an oversize tyre - say a 225 is supplied the rims might accept a 215 or a 235, might be worth investigating if you don't have much choice at the moment. Black Circles useful for exploring options.

The Extra Load tyres have a stiffer reinforced side wall - hard to see many disadvantages when I look at the pot holes and speed bumps.

By the time you've declared that modification (change in tyre width) to your insurance, the saving may not be as attractive... Or you may be looking for a new insurer in some cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure