PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Separate dining room or knock through?

Options
Hi all,

Just trying to work out what is worth more?

We currently have separate kitchen and dining room but could easily remove the wall in between and have it as a large open kitchen / diner.

Personally, I prefer two separate but is it more valuable to knock through is we were to sell? I suppose we would have to also factor in the cost to knock down the wall etc to add up the value?

Would knocking into 1 room add value?

Thanks

Comments

• need_an_answer
    Options
    I don't think that knocking a wall down between kitchen and dining room is going to add value as such.

What adds value is extending if you can simply because you increase the space available.

Knocking down an internal wall doesn't really impact upon the whole size of the house but if you want the feeling of more space then remove it for your own pleasure rather than it necessarily increasing the value of the property.

Personally I like kitchen and main eating space slightly separate,but there are other that will like it more social,so it becomes a preference thing rather than a value adding thing in my opinion
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a separate reception room where you can get away from cooking smells?

You're going to live with it, so do what you want and don't overthink the effect on a sale.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's no point doing it to sell. But you should speak to your local estate agents to ask.

You could simply get some quotes to do the work and leave those with the agent/out on the worktop.

Personally, I'd like it to be open. On the other hand I'd just like to know I could do it as whoever else does it will probably "get it wrong" and make choices about how it's done that would niggle me.

I'd like it all in one as I live alone and get pee'd off having to continually leave one room and go into another to cook/get a drink, when the telly/PC are in the other room, so I can't "be in both places, doing both things at the same time". Also, that traipsing back, having to close doors and cross hallways after I've turned the light out, while carrying coffee/food is a nuisance.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morata_ wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just trying to work out what is worth more?

We currently have separate kitchen and dining room but could easily remove the wall in between and have it as a large open kitchen / diner.

Personally, I prefer two separate but is it more valuable to knock through is we were to sell? I suppose we would have to also factor in the cost to knock down the wall etc to add up the value?

Would knocking into 1 room add value?

Thanks

It will add value for those who prefer it that way. It will decrease value for those who don't prefer it that way. So it doesn't matter.

If you don't like open plan I don't see why you would put the effort and cash in - you won't make any "extra" profit on having done it and you'll just have suffered the disruption yourself as well as your house not being the way you prefer it for all the rest of the time you're living there.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you looking to sell imminently?

If not, go with what you want to live in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wouldn't bother doing it if you're looking to sell. If its something that can easily be done then let the new owners have that choice of doing it themselves.

You might end up knocking it down, then the new owners come in decide they want it separated and put the wall straight back up!
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had that dilemma and not selling.

I have an old property with 2 reception rooms ... I was going to knock through into one reception room but ultimately decided to extend .
    If leaving I wouldn't bother, leave as is
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think that knocking a wall down between kitchen and dining room is going to add value as such.

If done badly, it could seriously impact on the value of the property.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    It's unlikely to affect the value of the property much, but could affect the saleability either way, depending on the local market.

Many people like a kitchen-dining room, but others prefer separate reception rooms (e.g. buyers from cultures that prefer separate social spaces for women and men, or student landlords who want to maximise the number of bedrooms).
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stop this. Stop thinking about whether x or y will add more value.

The reality is YOU live in the house and have to enjoy the space. Do whatever is right for you, not what some unknown potential purchaser may or not want at an unknown time in the future.

Houses are for nesting, not investing.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure