Looking for insurance for glasses

Options
Hi, My son wears glasses and I can just see them getting lost / broken
I have looked around buy can't see anywhere that insures glasses as a stand alone
I know I can use my home insurance but the excess make it not worth while

Does anyone know anywhere that does this

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    google spectacles insurance
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How old is your son? If he is under 16, the glasses can be repaired or replaced by an NHS voucher.
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our optician told me flatly to give it 6 weeks & say child had broken his glasses & to bring the old frames back to be reglazed to the new prescription.
    Meant the lads always had two pairs to work with, and if they'd grown even more, they still wore glasses just with very cheap frames.

A supportive optician is worth more than most insurance policies.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much do the glasses cost? I would have thought something like this is an obvious contender for self-insurance (eg putting a monthly amount away for future replacement).
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    karllap wrote: »
    Hi, My son wears glasses and I can just see them getting lost / broken
    I have looked around buy can't see anywhere that insures glasses as a stand alone
    I know I can use my home insurance but the excess make it not worth while

Does anyone know anywhere that does this

If you get a copy of his prescription, I am confident you will find online suppliers that will make inexpensive glasses for you to keep as spare and that will be cheaper than the insurance which presumably you'd be paying every year - and less hassle. You will then always have a spare set or two and saved the continuous annual premiums.
  • karllap
    karllap Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.
    Unfortunately he is 15 so although yes he gets the NHS voucher he still has to have the trendiest designer frames hence the £200 bill.

So I appreciate your advice about getting them repaired or cheap replacement the concern is still there that he has a pair of £200 glasses that can easily be lost or broken.
    From googling around I can see that there used to be a few companies that did glasses insurance for around £20 to £30 per year but I just can't find any companies that do it now.
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe it's a good life lesson and an incentive for him to look after his glasses. "These glasses cost me £200 because you wanted designer frames. That means it is your responsibility to look after them - break them or lose them and you will have the free NHS ones".
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just insured my new glasses at Boots Opticians for £25 habing paid £650 for a pair of varifocals and a pair of readers. Which optician did you use?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    lurkylurky wrote: »
    I have just insured my new glasses at Boots Opticians for £25 habing paid £650 for a pair of varifocals and a pair of readers. Which optician did you use?

that's a boatload for glasses, did you haggle? because you can
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much do the glasses cost? I would have thought something like this is an obvious contender for self-insurance (eg putting a monthly amount away for future replacement).

Decent brand frames + expensive lenses (particularly those with special coatings) can be £400+. You could obviously get cheap ones from MSE offers etc to get you spare pairs

OP, my optician had some sort of insurance in store, I wasn't interested but it does exist so I'm sure you could compare it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure