Marriage allowance worthwhile?

Options
My wife and I are considering this, but are not sure if her transferring £1250 of Personal Allowance to me would involve her paying tax. Using these estimated figures for her income this year, I wonder if some kind person could make the calculation? In as much detail as possible please, as I can't find a guide elsewhere which shows how to bring everything together.

Pension £6100
Interest £2250
Dividends £6900

Personal Allowance £11250

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Yes it is worthwhile (assuming you haven't missed out anything relevant).

She will have to pay tax on £1,750 of the dividend income. At 7.5% = £131.25

Interest has to be taxed in full as her reduced Personal Allowance is fully utilised by the pension income and part of the dividend income. But the interest will be taxed at the savings starter rate of 0%.

You will get £250 knocked off you tax bill (assuming you pay at least £250).

So as a couple you are nearly £120 better off.

May be different in future years depending on budget announcements, tax rates etc.
  • ian1944
    ian1944 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, D & C. I didn't realise that it worked like that. But isn't the £1750 remaining dividend income covered by the Dividend Allowance of £2000?
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    dont_use_vistaprint Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2019 at 12:47PM
    Options
    I am considering this , this year for the first time. My wife makes NET £982 per month , I think there is some tax , NI and £32 payment for our family private healthcare taken off and I believe tax limits are changing this week so it may go up a little.

I will earn between 80 & 120 in total this year and have a higher tax code due to various gift aid projects we run, and now make large pension contributions from part time PAYE income but still pay HR tax.

How do I know whether to do this, what is the test ?
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Paying tax at higher rate means you are not eligible to receive the Marriage Allowance.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Thanks, D & C. I didn't realise that it worked like that. But isn't the £1750 remaining dividend income covered by the Dividend Allowance of £2000?

Apologies, complete brain freeze!

There is no "allowance" for dividends but the £1,750 dividend which needs to be taxed would be taxed at the dividend nil rate (0% in 2019:20).

And this would not impact the savings income being taxed at 0%.

So no tax would be payable by your wife and you could benefit, as couple, by the full £250 (providing you aren't classified as a higher rate payer).
  • ellectrastar
    Options
    If dividends are received they’re taxed separately aren’t they? So anything over 2k allowance is taxed at 7.5%, regardless of whether you’ve used your personal allowance. Is what I thought anyway...
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ian1944 wrote: »
    My wife and I are considering this, but are not sure if her transferring £1250 of Personal Allowance to me would involve her paying tax. Using these estimated figures for her income this year, I wonder if some kind person could make the calculation? In as much detail as possible please, as I can't find a guide elsewhere which shows how to bring everything together.

It is - or it has been - one of the bizarre aspects of HMRC's implementation of MAT that your wife could have had £30,000+ more dividend income - and STILL you (plural) would benefit from MAT.

Not at all what the legislators intended. Crazy, crazy world. :)
  • polymaff
    edited 13 April 2019 at 4:52PM
    Options
    If dividends are received they’re taxed separately aren’t they?

Depends what you mean by "separately". There is nothing special about dividend income versus the other components of the income. All three types of income we are looking at here have some common and some of their own procedures.

In fact the first act of tax assessment is to add them all together and then determine which class of tax payer you are: basic, high, or additional rate. The only difference about dividend processing is that it is the third component in the rigid Order of Taxation and that the first £2,000 is taxed at 0% - and that it can be allocated another dollop of 0% out of the Personal Allowances. The only implication of the Order of Taxation is that it is the dividend component that is most likely to pop out of the top of a Rate band.

So anything over 2k allowance is taxed at 7.5%, regardless of whether you’ve used your personal allowance.

Not quite. Anything over the first £2,000 plus the dollop of Personal Allowances applied will be taxed at the appropriate dividend rate(s)
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    It is - or it has been - one of the bizarre aspects of HMRC's implementation of MAT that your wife could have had £30,000+ more dividend income - and STILL you (plural) would benefit from MAT.

Not at all what the legislators intended. Crazy, crazy world. :)

Sorry to be dumb, but what options are there so can she get get dividend income?

She could be named as a director, take a small salary and a large dividend from the profits ?

I could move savings / p2p investments into her name and into stocks that pay dividends instead of interest / growth ?
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • polymaff
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Sorry to be dumb, but what options are there so can she get get dividend income?

According to the OP, she already has dividend income - and so MAT will pay off in a way taxable savings and taxable non-savings income will not.

I was just commenting on the sort of scenario which was never intended to arise - variable benefit depending upon the nature of the taxable income.

In fact you could delete the word dividend in my posting. As long as there is £1 of dividend income sitting on top of , say, £40k+ of other taxable income - MAT pays off.

Barmy, barmy HMRC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport