We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking cat abroad

Options
Hi
Does anyone know how you take your cat abroad or done it. We would like to take ours abroad in our motorhome she was a stray so dont know her history. Vets info seems a bit vague. Thank you

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Start here and see what it says.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your vet probably is vague as the rules will change when/ if we leave the EU and how the EU will regard us.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
  • Heatherweed
    Options
    Thanks thought that might be the case
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is this just for a holiday? If so, puss will probably be safer and happier in a nice cattery.
  • SensibleSarah
    Options
    This couple live in a van (currently in Portugal) with their cat - https://www.theindieprojects.com/blog//travelling-with-a-cat so might have some useful advice.

As a cat owner myself, I absolutely wouldn't ever do this with my cats though. It's rare that a cat doesn't get very stressed by travelling (although there are exceptions, of course) and the risks of the cat getting outside and lost are just too high for me to even consider it.
  • Heatherweed
    Options
    Hi thanks hope to stay in Portugal for several months son moved out there. Kitty is used to travelling witb us quite happily. Travelled with 2 cats for years before 🐱.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a cat owner myself, I absolutely wouldn't ever do this with my cats though. It's rare that a cat doesn't get very stressed by travelling (although there are exceptions, of course) and the risks of the cat getting outside and lost are just too high for me to even consider it.

I had an exception. I took him everywhere with me, including camping holidays, and he didn't appear to get stressed at all. He used to come on walks with me and never got lost or disappeared despite having no restrictions on going outside on his own.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A friend took her cat when they went away in their caravan. It enjoyed exploring the sites and accompanied them when they walked their dogs.
  • Heatherweed
    Options
    Thanks everyone seeing vet tues morning looks like start vaccines from scratch that will be biv shop!!!😄. Know it depends on. Brexit but how Long do we wait hubby 74!!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whilst no-one knows what the rules will be following the B-word, I cannot see a problem at the moment if you follow the current procedures for taking a cat abroad. Overall the requirements to take one into mainland Europe won't change, more likely the issues may be when you are coming home, but if you have the inoculations required presently by the UK,

I cannot see this changing. It all appears to be risk based and I would say it's riskier to bring a cat from Europe to the UK, but you have a UK based cat with medical history known in the UK.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills