Forum Home » Budgeting & Bank Accounts

First Direct - Rubbish New Logon Screen

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

First Direct - Rubbish New Logon Screen

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
23 replies 3.8K views
[Deleted User][Deleted User]
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
One of the few plusses of the just-replaced First Direct interface was that when you logged on, the interface was in a resized window popped above the remaining browser tabs. This enabled you to view the First Direct page with everything else behind, but still visible. No longer! Now the interface is full page, not resizable, and so you can't float the window across the screen (unless there's some hidden way of doing this). Why do these clowns always have to make things worse.

Replies

• AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Popups are so 1990s now browsers have tabbed interfaces you can still switch between sites without the clutter of multiple windows.
  • karlie88karlie88 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    First Direct were in the minority - pretty much all other banks have a full size window on online banking. One of the first things I used to do was maximise the new window with FD.

Personally, I'm glad they've made the change.

First world problems....
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was quite encouraged when I saw the full screen tab, I've always found the teensy weeny popup faintly ridiculous especially on a large monitor. I was a bit disappointed to see that the full width has not been used, just a large expanse of black. On balance a thumbs up from me but it still looks like online banking designed in the 1950s
  • FingerbobsFingerbobs Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I always hated the stupid little pop-up that came up with no menu bar or toolbar, and which I always had to resize to fit everything into.

The new version is much better for me, even if it does wrap the last character of my username in the left-hand pane.

I've never liked tabs in browsers. They always seem like a throwback to Windows 3.0/3.1's MDI interface. I still prefer separate browser windows for each page I have open.
  • lr1277lr1277 Forumite
    632 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I open the FD website in a different/new browser. Once I have logged in, I have resized the browser to meet my requirements. Works for me.
  • edited 11 April 2019 at 6:51PM
    ShedmanShedman Forumite
    428 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 11 April 2019 at 6:51PM
    Fingerbobs wrote: »

The new version is much better for me, even if it does wrap the last character of my username in the left-hand panel

Mine does the same except in my case it's 4 characters that wrap around. Just looks so amateurish. Didn't the developers get someone to check the database of usernames to see what maximum lengths of them were and then design that screen to at least fit 90% of them onto one line rather using that ridiculously large font.

EDIT: In fact wouldn't it be better, rather than the screen saying Hello Username, that it used your preferred designator and said Hello Fred or Hello Mr Smith instead and make it seem more personal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ColdIron wrote: »
    I was quite encouraged when I saw the full screen tab, I've always found the teensy weeny popup faintly ridiculous especially on a large monitor. I was a bit disappointed to see that the full width has not been used, just a large expanse of black. On balance a thumbs up from me but it still looks like online banking designed in the 1950s

That is the point: they've made it full screen, but the content is all up in the top left corner, so it might as well be in a floating window anyway. There is absolutely no point in what they've done.
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the statements of your accounts they do make better use of the extra height afforded by the full tab dimensions. You see more without having to scroll

I use my 1st Account so little I can't recall with certainty but it is my recollection that if you manually resized the little boxy window it did not use any more of the increased depth so grids or lists such as statements just had extra black at the bottom

An improvement in my book, but I'm not going to die in a ditch to defend it ;)
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side - at least they finally changed something meaningfully for the first time since at least 2008.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • pmjenkinspmjenkins Forumite
    125 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Now the interface is full page, not resizable, and so you can't float the window across the screen (unless there's some hidden way of doing this)

If you drag the new tab away from the browser you should get the new page displayed in its own window.