Bus Pass Identification

CordieCordie Forumite
229 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭
I will be eligible for a bus pass in the next few weeks for which I have to give my NI number as part of the identiification process. Does anyone here have any knowledge of the information that the council will have access to when checking my details.

I know it's a strange question but the woman who works in the council office where the passes are processed lives near me and I am not keen on her knowing my business. I'm hoping that it is just a question of them confirming the name matches the number and everything else remains private.

Having a bus pass would be a big saving as ticket prices have increased massively over the last few years.

Replies

• LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Generally, people working in places like the Council offices and suchlike will have restricted access to databases, sufficient for them to do their job but no further. For instance, my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Generally, people working in places like the Council offices and suchlike will have restricted access to databases, sufficient for them to do their job but no further. For instance, my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.

Are you sure about that? Our receptionists have enough access to be able to tell us our test results, and if we need to see a Dr or not.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure about that? Our receptionists have enough access to be able to tell us our test results, and if we need to see a Dr or not.

Mine's the same, and deals with prescriptions etc
  • edited 9 April 2019 at 1:37PM
    alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019 at 1:37PM
    LadyDee wrote: »
    my doctor's receptionist only has as much access as is necessary to make me an appointment, she does not have the level of access to know what conditions I have or medication I take.

At my surgery the receptionists may not have access to the details of medical records but they certainly have access to prescription information. They print off any repeat prescriptions to give to a doctor to sign and then file them awaiting collection. They can also tell a patient when they last ordered a medicine.

The medicines being prescribed would give an indication of the conditions one had.

I am not sure about test results. They know what tests have been carried out. They can also say if the results are back and whether a patient needs to see a doctor to discuss them. So they can tell if tests were negative or not. Perhaps no more than that.
  • CordieCordie Forumite
    229 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies, I'm hoping as LadyDee suggests that information to council employees would be restricted as it's hard to see why they would need to know anything other than the name matches the number. I wonder if data protection laws would prevent detailed access?
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cordie wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I'm hoping as LadyDee suggests that information to council employees would be restricted as it's hard to see why they would need to know anything other than the name matches the number. I wonder if data protection laws would prevent detailed access?

Data protection laws may not prevent access, but they certainly prevent someone from 'gossiping on' the information obtained.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just applied for mine today, and before issueing the details I have supplied will be verified by the customer service team, so she maybe the one who verifies your application, although apart from seeing your NI number and some proof of residency, she is not going to learn anything about you to worry about.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data protection laws may not prevent access, but they certainly prevent someone from 'gossiping on' the information obtained.

They don't prevent it, they just provide for action to be taken if it happens. If a law prevented something happening then we'd have no speeding, no murders, no theft, etc., etc.
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cordie wrote: »

If I remember correctly when I got my bus pass I sent them a copy of the letter from the DWP about my State Pension.
  • CordieCordie Forumite
    229 Posts
    ✭✭
    I can take my application and proof of age and residency to any Council Customer Care Office but my NI is on the actual form itself and it is this that is sent to the main Council Office for verification.

Unfortunately I know from previous experience with another council department that information leaks but it is not just a question of that I don't want this particular woman to know my business.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides