What to best do about wasps nesting in outside wall?

Options
[FONT=&quot]Hi, I live in a fairly new build home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Last year we noticed wasps coming and going to a hole that’s in the wall outside, i think the hole is from where they probably put in the cavity wall insulation. there are a few of these holes but from what i can see all are filled in apart from one which is where we had seen wasps coming and going through the hole.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As it got to the winter they obviously died off and didn't think much more of it, in the last 2 days though we have seen wasps coming and going again from the same hole, last year, sometimes it seemed like the wasps themselves actually covered the inside of the hole so to stop anything coming in as sometimes it looked like a hole then other times if looked filled in lol.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyway, I’m assuming another queen is in there and are either in the process of making a nest, or would they just use the one that was there from last year?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How am i best getting rid of them? i was wondered if just filling the hole in would do the job but i read that if you fill the hole in with them in there, they can get a bit annoyed and if they manage to get in the inside of the house they could attack.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Am i best just getting a wasp control company to deal with them, I’ve read that about £30-£40 seems the going rate for them to get rid of them, do they literally just die inside the cavity or will they fill the hole in or do i just fill that in once they have done their job?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any advice on the best thing to do would be great.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]James[/FONT]

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It is still early for wasps, I saw my first one today,

We have walls with holes and have seen similar over the years.

Fill the hole asap.
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s is a little early for wasps, are you sure they’re not bees? If it is wasps, Get some wasp powder (a few quid from a garden centre) and spray it into the hole. Once wasps have stopped visiting, fill the hole.
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I assume it's a house and not a flat ? If you were paying leasehold fees then I would contact the managing agents ASAP .
    There is a certain element regarding new builds . What about the guarantee etc? Have any of your neighbours got issues from any outstanding faults for example ?

I had wasps in the loft many years ago where I used to live . They were initially coming at random times into the kitchen window where I thought was the problem . I'd say get rid ASAP . It may be worth paying a pest control company to sort it out . The sooner the better.
    You can tell I'm terrified of wasps :)
    Hope you get it sorted soon ..
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This time of year quick spray of permethrin in the hole to be sure, and then point it. Do it soon or it gets a bit harder.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-fast-acting-ant-insect-killer-aerosol-spray-300ml/p/0285380
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The man in the pub advised me this .....

Wait till dusk, when they are all in bed.

Pump the hole full of wasp nest destroyer - Wilkos sell it.

Repeat as necessary
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HalfPint wrote: »
    It’s is a little early for wasps, are you sure they’re not bees? If it is wasps, Get some wasp powder (a few quid from a garden centre) and spray it into the hole. Once wasps have stopped visiting, fill the hole.
    As HalfPint says, it is a little early for wasps, and rumour has it that wasps don't usually re-use the same nest site.

Before attacking them with chemicals, make absolutely sure they aren't bees.

If they are honeybees then try contacting your local beekeeping association. They often provide a service where a member will come and collect the bees and rehome them.

Another possibility this time of year is Mason Bees. They are very unlikely to do any harm to you or your house. Many people actively try to create nest sites to encourage them:-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_bee
    https://www.masonbees.co.uk/
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have wasp experiences too !

In my last house they were coming into the cavity wall area via some beading around a downstairs window.

I called in a Pest expert and got the problem solved - so I thought.
    Transpired they were doing the same thing in another window area and, their nest turned out to be in my loft, close to the hatch opening.

They had indeed been returning to this nest for several years, according to the Pest guy, the nest was a big one.

In my current home I think there's a nest in a fir tree in my garden as each time i'm working near it I see activity aswell as hearing them.

In the south west here, I start seeing wasps in March and rogue ones through a mild winter.

(When I first moved in here there was a bees nest in the compost bin that was left here, Buff Tail bumble bees, think I must be a magnet for these things :p).
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd read that wasps don't return to old nests year on year, is this an urban myth?? We therefore left last years nest to "die off" hoping it would actually be a deterrent for new wasps this year. Are we wrong to have done that?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I'd read that wasps don't return to old nests year on year, is this an urban myth?? We therefore left last years nest to "die off" hoping it would actually be a deterrent for new wasps this year. Are we wrong to have done that?
    You are not wrong. Wasps don't use the same nest twice, though they may build alongside the old one.

The access point may be some way from the nest, so finding that and closing it is the best thing to do, but with older houses that may not work.

There are at least 7 species of wasp in the UK. The ones around us tend to be ground nesting and not fierce. We also have hornets, which again are not particularly aggressive, though they scare the hell out of most people! :rotfl:
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I found a deserted wasps' nest in my roof space a few years ago. It just looked like a cardboard American football with nothing much inside. I am glad I did not find it when it was active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure