🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flexible ISA and ?going over allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,575 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leaphaze wrote: »
    It is possible to mix flexibility across ISA types?

For example pay £20,000 into Cash ISA 15th Aug, withdraw £5,000 from Cash ISA 15th Sept, pay £5,000 into S&S ISA 15th Sept.

So using £15,000 in a Cash ISA and the rest of the annual allowance in a S&S ISA.
    Yes, current tax year money flexibly withdrawn from an ISA can be paid back into a valid ISA of a different type.
  • patient_investor
    patient_investor Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Yes, current tax year money flexibly withdrawn from an ISA can be paid back into a valid ISA of a different type.
    Not sure if I understand it correctly. I can withdraw from Zopa IFISA, pay that immediately to iWeb ISA S&S, and still preserve my 20k annual allowance to be used later? Or there are some limitations to that? Or if I withdraw anything from Zopa IFISA, that allowance is forever gone, I can't use that again, have to use my new allowance of 20k this year?
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,575 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pioruns wrote: »
    Not sure if I understand it correctly. I can withdraw from Zopa IFISA, pay that immediately to iWeb ISA S&S, and still preserve my 20k annual allowance to be used later? Or there are some limitations to that? Or if I withdraw anything from Zopa IFISA, that allowance is forever gone, I can't use that again, have to use my new allowance of 20k this year?
    You can only pay flexibly withdrawn money into a different ISA if it is money paid in during the current tax year. So for example pay £5,000 into Zopa ISA on 6th April 2019, flexibly withdraw that £5,000 on 3rd May and then pay £20,000 into iWeb S&S ISA.

Money flexibly withdrawn that was paid in during a previous tax year must be replaced in the same ISA. Flexibly withdrawing previous year money increases your annual allowance on that ISA only, not other ISAs you hold/open.
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2019 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Having a Flexible ISA can be useful in a number of ways.

I am currently making payments (subscriptions) into my current year's regular savings cash ISA (Principality BS 1.85%) by making withdrawals from my Coventry BS flexible ISA (1.5%) (that holds only previous year's contributions + interest).

This process creates a flexible allowance on my Coventry account. Later in the year I will be able to pay the money back in (using up the flexible allowance I have created) with money from maturing fixed rate bonds and other, non-ISA regular savings accounts.

The only downside is I can't transfer the Coventry account away without losing the flexible allowance. I need to top it back up first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport