Weight Watchers Support

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
595 replies 42.2K views

Replies

• lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorothy of course I'm happy to share, I just don't want to bore you all with my menus.....:rotfl:

Please remember that I am now retired so time is my friend. I don't have the same time pressures that you have. I can take the time to cook a proper breakfast or lunch.

I don't actually usually eat breakfast till at least 10am because I try to go at least 12 hours overnight without eating so I can have a mini fast (so as to try and Reduce my blood sugar levels).

No point Breakfast could be berries and fat free plain yoghurt. I like skyr yoghurt, it's mild and creamy and quite filling.

Other zero point breakfast I like are mushroom omelette, frittata with either tomatoes and mushrooms or left over cooked vegetables, banana pancakes with berries

(Banana pancakes, just bananas and eggs, no batter).

2 point breakfast could be ham and cheese omelette - 20g of half fat cheddar 1.1/2 pt and half a slice of chopped ham 1/2 pt served with either tomatoes or mushrooms (or both) :D

2pt breakfast , bacon (2pts) eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes.

eggs are your friend - omelettes, frittata, poached eggs, scrambled eggs

Free or low point Lunches or dinners - skinless chicken breasts and unsmoked plain fish are free so base your meal on those.

Vegetarian meals can be free too if you ditch the carbs such as rice and potatoes. I use cauliflower "rice", courgetti instead of pasta, and butter bean mash instead of mashed potatoes. So a shepherds pie based on lentils and butter bean mash. Last week I made butternut squash curry with cauliflower rice.

Do you have a microwave at work so you could heat up leftovers. You could make batches of curry, chilli, casseroles, shepherds pie. You could have cold frittata with a salad.

Luckily I do like cooking and I like playing around With recipes. And I don't like being hungry.......:rotfl: I can honestly say I am eating far more now than I did before.

I take full advantage of all the free foods (except turkey, I'm not keen). I have reduced my red meat intake to twice a week so a lot of my main meals are chicken or fish based, with maybe one or two veggie meals a week.

I eat very few starchy carbs because I'm trying to sort out my blood sugar levels. I am pre diabetic and I'm determined to kick my blood sugar levels into touch and put diabetes into reverse. Due to my IBS I very rarely eat grains, so no bread, pasta, or rice. A slice of bread is a once a week "treat", any more and I risk an IBS attack and it's just not worth it. I can manage porridge now and again.

It sounds very restrictive but it's ok. There's still lots of choice.

Before joining weight watchers, I weaned myself off carbs by eating a paleo diet. It cured my IBS and GERD. Now that my stomach has healed I feel so well that I am happy to continue a largely paleo style diet, but just tweaking it to make it WW friendly. I am lucky because I had already sorted out my carb addiction first I no longer get sugar cravings. I hear some of the ladies in my group discussing how they struggle with their carb cravings, chocolate, puddings and deserts etc.
    I don't have that problem.

I like to add lots of herbs, spices and make nice sauces to jazz things up. I don't like bland food. I have learned to be inventive and how to make the sort of substitutions I discussed early, ie butter bean mash, cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice, courgetti.

I think it's important not to get bored with what's on your plate. I think if I was bored and dissatisfied with what I was eating I would just fall off the wagon.

I am eating around 8 to 10 portions of fruit and vegetables a day now. My skin loves my new regime, it has not looked this good in years. :D

Oops rather a long post. But I hope it helps.
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Girlies, I've pulled my big Girls pants on, n joined WW online tonight.:j
    I'm finding the app a bit hard to get my head round, but have loads of time to fettle it ;)
    I've no idea what I weigh, need new scales but I know it's waaay too much .
    I'm vegetarian, have hypothyroidism n other health probs, but I need to address my health and weight issues :D
    Can't believe how much I can actually eat on the plan either.:j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • edited 9 April 2019 at 10:23AM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019 at 10:23AM
    What are you doing awake at such an ungodly hour. :rotfl:

Well done on joining WW. And yes, if you're careful you can eat loads. In all honesty I must be eating twice what I was eating before when I tried to lose weight on my own. Which just suits me fine because I'm a girl who enjoys her grub. ;).

The good news is you have such a fabulous goal - your holiday will be a great motivation for you. That's one of mine too. I have sworn no more holidays until I'm slim, fit and healthy. I want to be fit enough to see and do everything and still have enough energy to dance the night away......:rotfl: I'm also vain enough to want to wear cute little outfits......lol.

When do you go.
    29.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha I've not been sleeping well recently:(
    A quick question; how do I gauge portion size.When it says a medium portion of pasta, or potato, not sure what that is, n can't see any info on the app:o

• Dorothy60Dorothy60 Forumite
    86 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Thanks for those ideas LL, will look out for that yoghurt. I hope we can all share meal ideas, kind of wish I had joined a group but they all seem to be SW round here. But we ARE a group right? Just find the app so fiddly and I know I’m not getting much out of it for my money.

Decided my weigh in day will be Friday. First thing. Naked in my bathroom with fingers crossed lol. Gives me an extra day on my first week. Have ramped up the exercise this week. Always do 10k steps, usually 13 and have forced myself to do yoga and Pilates but really don’t enjoy them. Work upper body 10 mins a day with light weights and so far avoided the dreaded bingo wings, and do hips tums and bums using exercises I learned in the nineties.

So my body shape is looking much better, but we need to see those pounds disappearing, don’t we, Ladies

Someone mentioned fit bit for motivation. I bought a cheap as chips one from amazon. Only a about 25 quid. Deliberately didn’t get one that you synced to your phone due to my technophobic tendencies and it’s fab. Love the buzz on your wrist when you hit 10 k
  • edited 9 April 2019 at 8:46PM
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019 at 8:46PM
    Hi everyone

Candy. I really struggled with the portion sizing, I couldn't find any information. In the end I bought the WW book called "Shop". At the front there is a basic list of foods, then there are the main supermarkets and finally there is a list of brands. I have found that the most helpful, it lists points and quotes weights

Not sure if you can buy a copy online or whether you could pop into a workshop and buy one.

Anyway .....

Pasta, dry weight 60g 6 Pts
    Rice, dry weight 60g 6pts
    Noodles, dry, 60g 6pts
    Couscous, dry 60g 6pts

Raw potato, 150g 4pts
    Parsnip raw 90g 2 Pts
    Sweet potato, raw 150g 5pts

Lentils 0 Pts

I think Most other common fruit and veg are free

Avocado, half medium 78g 5pts

Hope that helps for now.

I do weigh or measure everything that has a points value, but not the free foods.
  • edited 9 April 2019 at 8:52PM
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019 at 8:52PM
    My son set up the app for me today so need to get my head round it. But tbh I find my little book with the listed food values and my trusty kitchen scales work just fine for me. :rotfl:

I have signed up for 3 months. I think that might be enough to get me started. I've got to grips with it now and know what I'm doing. I might not renew after 3 months, I should be able to manage by myself now I have got my head round it all.

This thread is as good as any meeting, and I probably won't bother much with the app.
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I too have two hard boiled eggs and sometimes it's just a bit dull. But I have limited time in the morning,rushing round trying to get kids ready. I make my son an omelette in the morning, may start doing the same for me.
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August 

29.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got used to the app now, n tracked all my food today.Thanks for the portion size info LL xx:D

• mtbbuxtonmtbbuxton Forumite
    327 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    candygirl wrote: »
    Haha I've not been sleeping well recently:(
    A quick question; how do I gauge portion size.When it says a medium portion of pasta, or potato, not sure what that is, n can't see any info on the app:o

If you scroll a little further down on the screen, the portion size is listed in grams right at the bottom. You can also change the unit of measurement and quantity for any food item by tapping on the servings line and scrolling the relevant information.

M x