Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Help for my niece

Hi All

I wondered if anyone could give me any names of charities who may be able to help my niece. She sadly lost her Mum to cancer when she was 6 years old and last year her Dad (my brother) also passed away from cancer. She is just about to turn 16. She is obviously struggling with her mental health and is having counselling but I’m wondering if there are any charities who may be able to do something nice for her, a special day out or some kind of grant towards singing lessons as she has a beautiful voice. She has no savings and nothing good to look forward too and I’d love to cheer her up and show her that life is worth living.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What a lovely caring person you sound & being Mother's Day today I expect your niece feels the loss of her parents more so.

I don't know of any charities, but wonder if it's worth you contacting somebody like Macmillan, who do so much to help those affected by cancer, to see if they can offer any help or point you in the right direction.

If no charities can be tracked down then perhaps you'd consider setting up a GoFundMe page for her, where good hearted people can make donations towards something that would bring some cheer into her life.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    https://www.winstonswish.org/ for on-going support.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It could be worth contacting MacMillan Nurses for suggestions - they must have come across this sad situation in the past and might be able to direct you towards possible support/help. The key here would be her singing - how about trying to contact that lovely Gareth chap who creates choirs for some help? Or maybe there's a local drama or musical group who would welcome her? Try the local library for information.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You don;t say whereabouts she lives, but if it's the West Midlands these might be worth contacting

https://edwardstrust.org.uk/
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Googling brought up several options which might be useful - MacMillan and Winston's Wish, but also Child Bereavement UK, Maggie's Centres, Cruse ... what's available locally will vary. And I would encourage you to keep going on this now, while she's under 18, because that may be the cut-off point for some help.

However, as a one-off treat or on an ongoing basis, I've found Buddy Boxes to be a great resource for encouraging people going through a difficult time.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • celbelle
    celbelle Posts: 61 Forumite
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. My niece lives in East Sussex but I live in Wiltshire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure