Phone contract credit check

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a recent graduate and just received my Aqua credit card. I'd like to pay my monthly phone bill with it to build credit, so I called to set up my account and they said can we have your details to perform a credit check. I said sorry I'll call back.

My credit rating is obviously not too high, so will there be a problem when they run their check? Can I still build my rating by paying my monthly phone bill?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Why do they want to perform a credit check to change the method of payment of your monthly phone bill? Assuming that credit cards are accepted by the phone company as a means of payment, there should be no problem.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you saying the phone company want to run the credit check? That should be fine. It is easier to pass a credit check for a phone than it is for a credit card. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If they do take cards it will either be a CPA (which you must cancel down yourself if you terminate the contract) or you need to pay manually.

You will also likely be charged extra for not paying by Direct Debit - usually an extra £5 per month.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    If they do take cards it will either be a CPA (which you must cancel down yourself if you terminate the contract) or you need to pay manually.

You will also likely be charged extra for not paying by Direct Debit - usually an extra £5 per month.

Can't see how charging £5 extra would be legal post PSD 2018.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Can't see how charging £5 extra would be legal post PSD 2018.

Lots of places charge you extra if you don’t pay by direct debit.
  • joshyboy
    joshyboy Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought they aren't allowed to charge extra for credit cards now?
  • joshyboy
    joshyboy Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you saying the phone company want to run the credit check? That should be fine. It is easier to pass a credit check for a phone than it is for a credit card. :)

Yes, I called Vodafone and they eventually said can we have your details to run a credit check, so I didn't want to go ahead with it just in case something goes wrong (because I've only just received my first credit card).

So I should be fine to do this?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2019 at 10:02PM
    Options
    joshyboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm a recent graduate and just received my Aqua credit card. I'd like to pay my monthly phone bill with it to build credit, so I called to set up my account and they said can we have your details to perform a credit check. I said sorry I'll call back.

My credit rating is obviously not too high, so will there be a problem when they run their check? Can I still build my rating by paying my monthly phone bill?

Thanks!

Remember though that your rating is only seen by yourself.
    Lenders see your history.

Just using the card for petrol or food shopping will have the same effect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought they aren't allowed to charge extra for credit cards now?

The extra charge is basically a discount you would otherwise get by paying by DD.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a debit card or credit card.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 March 2019 at 12:02AM
    Options
    Yes, I called Vodafone and they eventually said can we have your details to run a credit check, so I didn't want to go ahead with it just in case something goes wrong (because I've only just received my first credit card).

So I should be fine to do this?

Have you actually got a phone contract with Vodafone ?

You can pay online without speaking to anyone.

They would only credit check you for a new contract, not to change payment method.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure