Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Extend the uncertainty?

Options
Surely it would be better to pull the plaster off and have short pain then get on with healing. No deal on the 29th then move on new trade deals and heal nd rebuild.

Pulling it off slowly and still having the same pain at the end is far worse.

They will never vote for Mays deal, so why keep flogging a dead horse, it's just prolonging the pain and making things worse, property was going to fall only 30% but now it could be a larger crash and last for much longer, maybe several years
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Agreed, let's do it.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do agree with this, the constant bickering and meaningful votes and shuttling to Brussells, let's make a decision and the only way to respect the referendum is to take this leap.
    The one thing I do agree with Mrs May, is I am fed up with this
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    Surely it would be better to pull the plaster off and have short pain then get on with healing. No deal on the 29th then move on new trade deals and heal nd rebuild.

Pulling it off slowly and still having the same pain at the end is far worse.

I completely agree with you, article 50 is the only way forward. Short term pain and long term gain.

All this no deal and renegotiating or theresa mays deal and renegotiating is just going to delay the inevitable when we rejoin the EU anyway.
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, article 50 is the only way forward. Short term pain and long term gain.

All this no deal and renegotiating or theresa mays deal and renegotiating is just going to delay the inevitable when we rejoin the EU anyway.

I once read Donald Trumps book and although I don’t like him, his negotiating skills are legendary. He just walks away.

They will never agree on a deal, so why not try Trumps negotiating skills and walk away.

Yes it will be hard on the UK but it will be extremely hard on the EU as well.

We can buy our good from other countries and the EU will be begging for trade deals, and wish they had negotiated better before the no deal fiasco.

Yes it will be hard, no two ways about it, but no deal is better than Mays bad deal, and certainly better than prolonging the pain and uncertainty only to leave with no deal months down the line.
  • Takedap
    Takedap Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    I once read Donald Trumps book and although I don’t like him, his negotiating skills are legendary. He just walks away.

His negotiating skills are exactly the same as Theresa May's.

My way or the Highway.

This is it, take it or leave it.

My deal or No Deal.

It's all working out so well isn't it?

PS, When it comes to books, he couldn't colour one in let alone write one....
  • phillw
    Options

Funny, I thought he paid off people in secret. He settled a lot of his fraud cases out of court too.

But yeah, he walks away from people like you that have no leverage. He does it after he's signed a contract and taken your money. Which is fine for dumb people, but the EU aren't dumb.

Anyone who thought brexit negotiations was going to be easy was prejudiced thinking that the EU were stupid.
  • AG47
    Options
    Takedap wrote: »
    His negotiating skills are exactly the same as Theresa May's.

My way or the Highway.

This is it, take it or leave it.

My deal or No Deal.

It's all working out so well isn't it?

PS, When it comes to books, he couldn't colour one in let alone write one....

NO the problem is the cabinet think May didn’t negotiate well enough, she should make a better deal for them to vote for her. She is too weak.
  • AG47
    Options
    She doesn’t need to be hard on her own people, she needs to be hard on the people she is supposed to be negotiating with.

The M.P.s will never vote on a bad deal, she either needs to get a better deal for the UK or just leave next week with no delal, there is no point extending the uncertainty for a bad deal in May or June that will still not get a meaningful vote passed.

Give the EU one final ultimatum and if not leave with no deal this week
  • phillw
    edited 21 March 2019 at 4:05PM
    Options
    She doesn’t need to be hard on her own people, she needs to be hard on the people she is supposed to be negotiating with.

Just being hard on people doesn't work in negotiations, you need to have some leverage.

We have none. Every move we make will leave us worse off than we are now.

The EU aren't the problem, she's been led down a dead end by the brexit headbangers.

We certainly shouldn't reward the ERG and serve the country up ready for them to destroy it.
  • Takedap
    Takedap Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options

Negotiating is about getting an agreement which suits everyone.

You have exactly the same approach to these proceedings as Donald Trump.

You think that you have to win & the other guy has to lose.

That's not how the grown-up world of trade & business works.

If you want to build up a successful long term partnership, both sides have to be happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure