Paying back an advance if uc claim closed

Options

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    When UC was first touted it said that the move to monthly payments would put claiments on the same footing as if they were working.
    Research by Citizens Advice shows that 55% of UC claimants who were in work prior to claiming UC were not paid monthly but were paid weekly or fortnightly. Trouble is people who invent these processes don't live in the same world as many of the people who need to claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    Options
    scootw1 wrote: »
    I could claim Jsa, didnt know I could.
    New Style JSA is possible if you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years but it won't make any difference because it will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.
  • scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    New Style JSA is possible if you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years but it won't make any difference because it will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

I'm claiming Jsa only now not uc as uc claim is closed.
  • scootw1
    Options
    I've found out now that I have to claim universal credit instead of housing benefit. Are you saying that the new style JSA will get taken off the housing element of that or does the housing element remain intact?
  • calcotti
    Options
    The housing element is just one part of the UC entitlement. UC is one benefit. The JSA will be taken fully into account and deducted from the UC award as a whole.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • scootw1
    edited 21 March 2019 at 1:49PM
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    The housing element is just one part of the UC entitlement. UC is one benefit. The JSA will be taken fully into account and deducted from the UC award as a whole.

Then that means on JSA I don't get anything to live on as it will be taken out of the housing element? What's the point of the JSA then? I might as well cancel the JSA and re apply for universal credit once the assessment period is up if that's the case. Or do I apply for universal credit and get the standard amount + housing element then minus the JSA? Seems a bit long winded to me. Paying with one hand then taking off with another.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    Options
    scootw1 wrote: »
    Then that means on JSA I don't get anything to live on as it will be taken out of the housing element? What's the point of the JSA then? I might as well cancel the JSA and re apply for universal credit once the assessment period is up if that's the case.
    In your situation there's no point in claiming New style JSA. It's also only paid for 6 months. Are you saying you already started a claim for the JSA? :eek:
  • calcotti
    Options
    The point of JSA is that not everyone is entitled to UC.
  • scootw1
    Options
    In your situation there's no point in claiming New style JSA. It's also only paid for 6 months. Are you saying you already started a claim for the JSA? :eek:
    Yes I did the claim this morning on advice from the job centre. I've just spoken to DWP now and they say that the claim will be for the standard allowance and the housing element and then the JSA will get taken off so I would be in the same position from the sound of that. It will pay towards the rent and give me money to live on.
  • scootw1
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    The point of JSA is that not everyone is entitled to UC.
    I'm entitled to both but from the sound of things I would be better doing it this way as I will get a JSA payment sooner than I would of got the UC. and it balances out anyway. Unless I've misunderstood them. Which I might have considering how complex it all is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure