PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Car port converted to garage and no council permission

Options
13»

Comments

• LateStarter
    LateStarter Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Agree with indemnity insurance. Should stop anyone (council?) trying to force you to change it back. It's usually the vendors who pay for it. Anywhere between £30-100 ish.

I am confused. Surely having indemnity insurance isn't going to stop the council from making you change it back ("Here's an enforcement notice for that monstrosity that breaches the hell out of planning regs. Oh what's that? You've got indemnity insurance? We'll just tear that notice up and jog on then")

I assumed indemnity insurance covers the cost of making it right (which might include tearing it down).
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am confused. Surely having indemnity insurance isn't going to stop the council from making you change it back ("Here's an enforcement notice for that monstrosity that breaches the hell out of planning regs. Oh what's that? You've got indemnity insurance? We'll just tear that notice up and jog on then")

I assumed indemnity insurance covers the cost of making it right (which might include tearing it down).
    Actually, you're right. Brain not in gear. Had the same thing twice before with lounge-diner/chimney breast walls being removed in houses, and windows, etc.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If its under 4 years have them take it down and leave it for you to put it back up later after you move in, and say it was faulty if anyone asks.
  • RockOnZombies
    Options
    Garages don't always come under permitted development either, there are rules on that one too.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    markin wrote: »
    If its under 4 years have them take it down and leave it for you to put it back up later after you move in, and say it was faulty if anyone asks.
    How can anyone 'pull it down' it's part of the house and looks like it adjoins the next door garage?
    Only the door has been changed. Think op is trying to create problems that don't/ didn't exist . .
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How can anyone 'pull it down' it's part of the house and looks like it adjoins the next door garage?
    Only the door has been changed. Think op is trying to create problems that don't/ didn't exist . .

I do think OP is overthinking this. As I previously posted, councils do not patrol the streets looking for planning infringements.

Over 10 years ago had an extension built. Building Regs signed off but planning have never bothered checking to see if it was built to plan. although perhaps I was supposed to notify them when it was completed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure