Boiler Condensate Pipe

Hi, I have a condensing boiler in a new house which drains externally via a stubby pipe approx. 2m high. Condensate drips onto the ground adjacent to the wall. I now know this may damage the foundations over time. My question is as I have the boiler serviced by the installation company and they have never mentioned this as being a problem, am I missing something? Is there an internal neutraliser with just water dripping or am I and all the other house owners on the site in for a row with the builders?

I have read about a soakaway not <500mm from the wall but see AD: H states 1m. Ideal (manufacturer) state 500mm.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 6:59PM
    OK, forget all the stuff below - it wasn't the condensate pipe.

It sounds like somebody bodged it.

The condensate should either go to a properly constructed soakaway, or be redirected to a convenient drain.

I would guess that nobody has mentioned it because the company that bodged it are the ones who are doing the servicing.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,122
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Description sounds more like the boiler's over pressure relief valve pipe to me? Condensate pipe will / must be plastic. PRV pipe will be copper.

Which material is it? Photos could be helpful?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    If it is a condensate pipe to an outside wall, there will be a danger of the pipe freezing and the boiler shutting down.
  • Seetek
    Seetek Posts: 29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Okay, just checked and not sure if it is a condensate pipe or a PRV pipe. It is approx. 12.5mm copper shaped like a letter ‘c’ using elbows. If it is a PRV where is the condensate pipe? It is a pressurised system with HW tank. The pipe is dripping constantly and the annual service is due. Will try to post a picture tomorrow.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Seetek wrote: »
    Okay, just checked and not sure if it is a condensate pipe or a PRV pipe. It is approx. 12.5mm copper shaped like a letter ‘c’ using elbows. If it is a PRV where is the condensate pipe? It is a pressurised system with HW tank. The pipe is dripping constantly and the annual service is due. Will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Copper pipe in a c pointing back to that wall is PRV valve leaking.

When your oil or LPG engineer comes point it out for repair and ask where condinsate pipe is.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 10:24AM
    The condensate pipe wont be above the boiler. As said it will be plastic and may run into the house drainage system internally - you'll need to check the boiler and trace the plastic pipe that comes out of the bottom to see where it goes. Ours used to drain into the bathroom waste pipework.

The one you seem to be looking at is probably the Pressure Relief Valve. Check your boiler pressure (usually 1 to 1,5bar - the gauge is in the boiler)and your hot water system pressure - most pressurised hot water systems have a pressure gauge somewhere near the pressure vessel and it should be around 2-2.5bar.

If the pressure vessel gets over pressurised then the PRV is usually set for about 3 bar. You can do a simple check by tapping the top of the pressure vessel - it should sound hollow because it's should have air in it. The bottom will sound dull as it's got water in it.

If the vessel sounds dull at the top then it means the system pressure is too high and the PRV is probably venting - it need checking and recharging.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,122
    Forumite
    Thought so.

The boiler manuals will also help you find the location of things. Both user and install manual should be in the house pack of useful stuff (if provided) or can be downloaded, usually.

Ask you service technician to show you the condensate pipe and where it goes into the drain. You should get service done soonest as the boiler may stop working if the cold pressure drops enough due to the PRV operating/leaking.
  • Seetek
    Seetek Posts: 29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks to all for the informative responses. I see a plastic pipe approx 18mm coming from the middle of the underside but entering the stud wall. There is a similar sized pipe coming out of the wall adjacent to the sink in the utility (get us!) it enters the sink waste via a larger adaptor. Checking the gauge it reads 2.5 bar so I’ll drain some off. I’ll ask the engineer next week to check. I am relieved we haven’t got a missing soakaway problem but am suitably reassured now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure