IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Fine from Equita nearly 3 years later

Options
CarlyD76
CarlyD76 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 18 March 2019 at 2:11PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello,

My partner and I visited Brockholes Preston in June 2016. I was aware of having to pay for the car park and thought I had!! This was a long time ago now but I remember attempting to pay it but I cannot find a record of this on my bank. So whether I have done something wrong somehow and the payment hasn’t been made I don’t know.

Anyway, the car park has ANPR and they have obviously identified that we didn’t pay (a genuine mistake). But since June 2016 we have received no letter or notice to say we had not paid and we had been fined from Parking With Ease which is the company who run the car park. We have never received anything from them in almost 3 years. Until last week when a letter arrived from Equita in my partners name as we went in his car to say we have a £50 fine. And that the fine has now been passed from Parking with Ease onto them to recover it as we have no l paid. Well the reason for that is that we had no idea it existed!!

My main issue is with the lapse in time, surely we should have received some other letter from the original company but we haven’t. And this letter is the first I am aware of it!
I have emailed parking with ease appeals process email and told them we visited on that date but queried why we haven’t received any notice from them at all in 3 years. Having read some of the threads on here after I’d done that they say Don’t tell them who was driving. As I’ve told them we did visit on that date have I now made myself liable to pay the fine?

Do people think I have grounds to appeal or should I just pay it?

My other issue is that having searched the VRM on parking with ease website it says on there there are charges for £110! The letter from Equita is only asking for £50. My fear is that if I pay the £50 they will then send another letter demanding £110.

Any response is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is PE and it goes to court read this first. Their signs are unlikely to get past a judge.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164&highlight=

and complain now to your MP.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem become so widespread that MPs agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. It received The Royal Assent today.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    parking with ease , brockholes , a well known one , they !!!! there paperwork up quite often

please confirm that at the date of the incident your CAR was registered at your address , check doc ref on V5

you also eed to do a SAR on PWE to find all the bits of missing paperwork
  • CarlyD76
    Options
    There are signs that inform you about the parking charge. I was aware of that, I thought I had paid it but I mustn’t have done it properly. I’m not disputing any of that.

My only dispute is that this was in 2016 and from then until now I have not received one letter from Parking with Ease to say there is a fine. Nothing at all from them until last week when we got a letter from Equita trying to recover the £50 fine.

How can they try and recover this money at such a later date when this is the first time I have been made aware of the fine?

The car was registered at my boyfriends address at the time and still is. This is where the letter from Equita has been sent but nothing was received from parking with Ease.

What is a SAR please? Will that show if they have sent letters?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am certain that no where in any paperwork do they call it a fine!
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What is a SAR please?

You need to get a grip on this, read the stickies, use a search engine, read other peoples' threads, these companies can cause you immense damage.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • johnvu93
    Options
    Hello

Is there anyone that can help with my issue

i have received a letter today 14/8/20 from Equita for unpaid  Sundry Debt owed to Gladstone Solicitors for a parking fine (Ace Parking) from 2 years ago which I refuse to pay as Ace is not part of the BPA (British Parking Association). You only pay council,
    police and tfl tickets. I done research private parking companies are only an ‘invoice’ ticket as displayed on their tickets as ‘parking notice enclosed’. Can somebody give me an insight about Equita acting on behalf of Gladstone solicitors. What do I do? Do I ignore it as this is the first time this ‘case’ has come back to me since a long time. I have not heard from Gladstone Solicitors in over a year
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    CarlyD76 said:
    There are signs that inform you about the parking charge. I was aware of that, I thought I had paid it but I mustn’t have done it properly. I’m not disputing any of that.

My only dispute is that this was in 2016 and from then until now I have not received one letter from Parking with Ease to say there is a fine. Nothing at all from them until last week when we got a letter from Equita trying to recover the £50 fine.

How can they try and recover this money at such a later date when this is the first time I have been made aware of the fine?

The car was registered at my boyfriends address at the time and still is. This is where the letter from Equita has been sent but nothing was received from parking with Ease.

What is a SAR please? Will that show if they have sent letters?
    It can't be £50 and sounds like a chancer letter.  Why are you so prepared to believe you didn't manage to pay and display?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback