Past use by food.

Yesterday I visited Morrison’s for a weekly food shop. I purchased a pack of southern fried chicken poppers. When I got home I realised the use by date was 10th March. Yesterday was 17th, so this is a week past it’s use by date.
I have emailed them. Received a response telling me they will contact me within 48hrs. What is their policy on selling past “use by” products. And should I wait for the email response or should I phone them also?
Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2019 at 10:59AM
    Products shouldn't be sold beyond a "Use by" date, so their stock rotation has gone wrong.

You will get a refund.... quickest way would be to return the item to the shop, with your receipt.

Were you expecting something else ?
  • Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Dont think youll get any other sort of compensation, just a refund unfortunately
  • TonyMMM wrote: »
    Products shouldn't be sold beyond a "Use by" date, so their stock rotation has gone wrong.

You will get a refund.... quickest way would be to return the item to the shop, with your receipt.

Were you expecting something else ?

I second this - just take them back and they will replace them for you! They obviously have been slacking on their date checking. Use-by and Best before are a bit different!
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Might get a voucher for a few £ for your trouble ...
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    xsunnysuex wrote: »
    What is their policy on selling past “use by” products.

I expect their policy is not to sell products past their 'use by' date.

I agree with the others, the quickest route would likely to be returning to the shop, where they'd likely replace your product, possibly with a refund as well and maybe even give you a £10 voucher or something.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    xsunnysuex wrote: »
    Yesterday I visited Morrison’s for a weekly food shop. I purchased a pack of southern fried chicken poppers. When I got home I realised the use by date was 10th March. Yesterday was 17th, so this is a week past it’s use by date.
    I have emailed them. Received a response telling me they will contact me within 48hrs. What is their policy on selling past “use by” products. And should I wait for the email response or should I phone them also?
    Thanks for any advise.

Just a refund will be what you get.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I once bought some beef in Morrisons that was not up to scratch (the top 25% looked nice, the rest was fat and gristle), took it back late on same day, manager was very apologetic, gave a full refund AND allowed us to pick whatever we liked as a replacement. As it was late in the day the fridge was a bit bare and all they had left was fillet steak! nom nom nom.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Its illegal to sell food past its use by date, so you could complain to your local council's Environmental Health or Trading Standards team. I expect they would want to see a receipt proving you bought the product on the day you claim.

But mistakes happen, and unless you have a grudge against Morrisons, I would just take it back for a refund.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A receipt doesn't prove anything. I could buy an in date item today, then the same item in a month and say I'd just got the one from a month ago.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    z1a wrote: »
    A receipt doesn't prove anything. I could buy an in date item today, then the same item in a month and say I'd just got the one from a month ago.

That's a lot of hassle for something that costs a couple of quid and is likely to get the same again in "compo vouchers".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure