Ditching Sky, going to BT TV and Freesat?

Options
Herbyme
Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 March 2019 at 7:43PM in TV MoneySaving
Hi,
I'm considering ditching Sky (£33 for the basic sub!!) and replacing it with Freesat but I need to be able to get BT Sport in one room. I don't have a working TV aerial, but have an ordinary sky dish (not SkyQ).

I already pay BT £16.50pm for BT Sport HD and I have a BT Broadband contract.

I'm told by BT that I can pay an extra £6pm on top of those contracts, they'll give me a free Youview+ box and I'll pay a £20 activation fee. Apparently that gets me BT Sport on one TV, I can use the Sky box to get the Freeview channels on that TV (which is all I watch) so that room is sorted.

In the other room I want to use Freesat, so I can get the 7 day catch up service and live pause, but I don't need to record or watch BT sport. So I just need a Freesat receiver.

Can anyone tell me if all that is correct, or if any of it won't work, or if there's a better option?!

TIA

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the other room I want to use Freesat, so I can get the 7 day catch up service and live pause, but I don't need to record or watch BT sport. So I just need a Freesat receiver.
    Yes a Freesat HDR recorder will work if this room has the necessary 2 cables from the satellite dish. As you stated it isn't Sky Q then it shouldn't be an issue. I replaced my Sky HD box 9 years ago with a Freesat recorder and it was a case of just swapping over the 2 boxes.
    ( Some Freesat boxes don't have a recording facility)
    I'm told by BT that I can pay an extra £6pm on top of those contracts, they'll give me a free Youview+ box and I'll pay a £20 activation fee.
    Some Youview+ boxes will not work if they don't have a working aerial. I know Plusnet (the BT cheap subsidiary) require a working aerial to get their Freeview+ box to work out of the box. So I would be wary here.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I set a Youview box up with an indoor airial a few years back .
    Thats going to depend upon the signal in the room .
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I have a youview+ box that I got from PlusNet when I was with them. On mine, I needed an aerial as the BT sports channels were extra channels on the box (unlocked via your subscription), not an app via internet.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi carolinerunner,

You need both an aerial and internet connection for a YouView to work, so that would be a no.

You currently pay £16.50 for BT Sport via the Sky platform, but as thats a month to month contract, if you were to cancel Sky that payment would cease via separate cancellation with BT. Both platforms require 1 months notice in advance.

You state you have BT broadband. BT Sport can be provided to you via that broadband connection and/or via its webpage on btsport.com and/or via an Amazon Fire stick plus other devices and some smart TVs - see here -

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44724/~/can-i-stream-bt-sport-using-chromecast-or-apple-tv%3F

Hope that helps.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Hi carolinerunner,

You need both an aerial and internet connection for a YouView to work, so that would be a no.

You currently pay £16.50 for BT Sport via the Sky platform, but as thats a month to month contract, if you were to cancel Sky that payment would cease via separate cancellation with BT. Both platforms require 1 months notice in advance.

You state you have BT broadband. BT Sport can be provided to you via that broadband connection and/or via its webpage on btsport.com and/or via an Amazon Fire stick plus other devices and some smart TVs - see here -

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44724/~/can-i-stream-bt-sport-using-chromecast-or-apple-tv%3F

Hope that helps.

How?.......
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 March 2019 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Sorry, BT Sport is not currently available on a Fire stick at this time, but it is on a Chromecast.
  • hatewashingmachines
    Options
    We are also ditching Sky. We are due to come to an end of a discounted package and I’ve shopped around. We have already cancelled Sky broadband as they didn’t offer us anything worth staying for so we’ve gone to Plusnet for Fibre Broadband and we are trying the BT sport app and Chromecasting that to the TV. (Extra £5 per month) and on top of that I’ve cancelled Sky TV as we only really watch Sky One & Sky Atlantic and we can get those via Now TV for £7.99 per month so from £71 just for Sky TV we are going down to £13 per month for Now TV and BT Sports and not tied into any contract.... we’ll see how it goes but it feels good to be saving a good chunk of money!
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    What are you paying PN for fibre and landline ??
  • hatewashingmachines
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    What are you paying PN for fibre and landline ??

Its an 18 mth contract
    £23.99 per month for fibre & phone line
    I went through a special offer on Money Supermarket which gave me £75 cashback on a pre paid card then to get it a little bit more cheaper I paid up front for my line rental for 12 mths. ( the above cost is before the line saver discount)
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Thanks working prices out for a friend that wants BT Sport.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure