We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can you travel to RoI without a passport?

13»

Comments

• joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    500 Posts Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The same applies to stamps from any other state. I’ve just got a letter from Germany this morning. Those Deutschebundespost stamps seem to have been enough to get them from point of entry to my door.
    Ok I'll clarify my point, the cost of posting a letter from dublin to letterkenny is the same as dublin to belfast, i.e. the same stamp (as in single one, same value)

You can’t post from here across the border with An Post stamps.
    Naturally.

I do remember a time when a first class stamp would do then it changed to international mail, or maybe it was just the local RM turned a blind eye.
    In the past I'd get a few SAEs from the US with US stamps on them... you know... to save me the cost of postage ;-)
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post
    edited 23 March 2019 at 10:23AM
    joefizz wrote: »
    Ok I'll clarify my point, the cost of posting a letter from dublin to letterkenny is the same as dublin to belfast, i.e. the same stamp (as in single one, same value)

Naturally.

I do remember a time when a first class stamp would do then it changed to international mail, or maybe it was just the local RM turned a blind eye.

Oh yes, that’s right. The same as dialling 048 to get here, rather than 004428.
    It used to be enough to use a first class stamp from here, but it was changed to the “near Europe” category along with France and Netherlands etc. some years ago. Up to then, it used to be cheaper to use the post from here for local deliveries there.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.