PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Induction hob V gas

Options
1235»

Comments

• ryanmaryland
    Options
    I have been cooking in a gas hob when I was 15 years old and while staying in this place for a semester, the place has an induction hob, not a fan with its capabilities may be because it was old. The induction hob takes too long to cook rice. That was my experience but would definitely give a brand new one a try as it is brand new. It should work well, right?
    Choose to be the better person, always.
  • simonineaston
    Options
    To anyone who is still uncertain about the move to induction-powered cooking, I suggest you buy Ikea's single element portable unit (£39) to test the water. I did and I love it. I cook a lot of Indian food, inc. rice, as well as use a wok and I wouldn't go back to using gas for a Big Pig, as they say. It is true that some of the cheaper hobs, including the Ikea Tillreda, pulse the power on lower settings (just like some microwaves do) to achieve the effect of low output, however once you've tried it, you'll see that it's not an issue really. My pillau rice comes out just like it always did. :-)
    My conclusion is that induction powered cooking is better than gas in every way I can think of (quicker, cheaper, cleaner, safer... etc.etc.) bar one. The exception is longevity. Gas hobs are so simple it's no surprise that I had just two in nearly four decades... doubt that indiction hobs will compete with that!
    The one remaining question that's harder to answer is the availability of gas as a domestic fuel... the writing on the wall , rather faint at the mo', is there to see.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can get induction hobs that run off a standard 13A socket. They are slightly compromised because they have to be limited to 3kW - i.e. the four ring one we have limits the total setting to 12 (each ring can go to 10 if the others aren't on).
    So not for professional cooks, or really even for keen amateurs. But fine for everyday family use.

We get on fine with it.

Would echo the comment about checking out the lowest setting. Can me hard to do e.g. pancakes cause the hob keeps cycling on and off rather than running at a constant low heat.

We have used nothing but induction hobs for years. I have cooked hundreds of pancakes in that time, using my lovely Tefal induction pancake pan. Never had a problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a quite fancy induction hob and I have to be honest, I'd love to change back to gas. Yes easy to clean, but it cuts out the moment there is any tiny spill. Quite often it cuts out (get an = sign) and the only way to get it going is to press the power off and then start everything up again. No spill, it just went off with this darned = sign showing.

Christmas lunch with multiple things going on the hob was more stressful than usual this year. I don't know how many times i had to restart it.

Then there is the times when it seems to be on but the food isn't cooking and it should be. Another opportunity to restart, so love doing that.

I will be going back to gas. Easy to clean with a toothbrush if needs be.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We moved in with induction, now won’t go back to gas. Instant heat, Able to touch as soon as turns off (ok give it a few seconds) but the best thing is leave it on by mistake and unless a pan is on the hob it isn’t on so a great safety feature.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a quite fancy induction hob and I have to be honest, I'd love to change back to gas. Yes easy to clean, but it cuts out the moment there is any tiny spill. Quite often it cuts out (get an = sign) and the only way to get it going is to press the power off and then start everything up again. No spill, it just went off with this darned = sign showing.

Christmas lunch with multiple things going on the hob was more stressful than usual this year. I don't know how many times i had to restart it.

Then there is the times when it seems to be on but the food isn't cooking and it should be. Another opportunity to restart, so love doing that.

I will be going back to gas. Easy to clean with a toothbrush if needs be.

This induction I have at the moment is very temperamental with spills as well ( last one wasn't ) so what I do now when Im cooking something I know is going to spill like the gammon this year, is to put newspaper down then put the pot on top. Managed to cook the gammon without the dreaded beep :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I put a tea towel under a pan, and stayed there, thank god I did, the tea towel burned lol. Obviously the pan got too hot. I saw something like putting paper towels under pans on an induction hob on Youtube, saw him cook something that I would have thought made the pan quite hot, but the paper towel was still untouched. Not in my case lol. Not done it since, obviously. Glad I experimented while watching.

The hob looks brilliant (clean it very carefully) but no, if I can, I will replace it with gas. And bring my very fine set of pans out of retirement instead of the the three induction ones I have to make do with now.
  • movingtomacc
    Options
    It's not a deal breaker but depends on how extensive your Indian/Pakistani cooking is.

All out Asian cooking is definitely much easier/tastier with an actual fire - Phulkas, baingan bharta, kadai dishes, etc especially when you are particular about using traditional cookware.

But unless you absolutely need to cook as traditionally as possible, an induction hob is perfectly fine with compatible cookware.

My Indian born mum couldn't live with an induction hob but I am perfectly happy cooking Indian dishes on it.
    AH1509 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im back with more confusion.
    I am currently looking to buy a house as a single applicant and am finding it hard to decide.
    I have always cooked with a gas cooker, asian cooking and chappattis and rice cook best on it so I have been told.
    I am viewing a house with a brand new kitchen relaced and I guess my question is i’is an induction hob easy to cook on, how is it different to Gas, would i need new appliances and can anyone give own experiences?

Is it a dealbreaker?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Professional don't have a problem with induction and proper woks as they use special ones that are shaped to take a wok.

You can get them built in to domestic kitchens, they are not cheap

Not all induction are equal some pulse high energy to get lower energy so can't simmer properly.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just to add my two-pence-worth:

We recently moved to a house with an electric hob in kitchen. It was a bit shabby so we replaced it with an induction hob and I love it! I was always used to a gas hob and honestly, the induction hob is every bit as responsive if not more so. Definitely recommended. Ours is a Stoves one if anyone is interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure