PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Induction hob V gas

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,185 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    You need to look at your kitchen set up before deciding as tbh, when my last hob went kaput, I thought Id go gas (cylinder) but the kitchen was already fitted with the splash backs and hood and closet cabinet in place which ruled out gas

Kitchen has walls, floor, doors, window and ceiling.... and electricity. Water pipes run through it, but there’s currently no sink (or drainpipe). There is a smoke alarm. Otherwise it’s pretty much a blank canvas, and electricity gives me much more flexibility in terms of hob position.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    The induction hob is 2.5 years old and still like brand new. I'd hate to go back to cleaning a conventional cooker again. I love my induction hob!

I've only had my induction hob for just over a year now. Love it, so easy to clean, even the pans stay clean. The hob surface never gets dangerously hot, so minimal risk of burns. If cooking something that spits & splatters, a sheet of newspaper can be put on the hob and then the pan on top.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • pinkpiglit
    pinkpiglit Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you cook rice the Indian way though? It calls for a very low flame

We do! The lowest setting on our induction hob has less heat than the smallest flame we could get out of our old gas hob. Works perfectly for Indian style rice cooking (it's the only way I cook my rice).

At the other end of the heat range we have a "P" setting (can't think what it stands for) and a decent sized saucepan of water comes to the boil in about 2 mins, whereas on the gas hob it would take anywhere from 5-8 mins.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2019 at 7:13PM
    Options
    pinkpiglit wrote: »
    At the other end of the heat range we have a "P" setting (can't think what it stands for)
    It stood for 'full Power' on my old Smeg.

It was brilliant in combination with my boiling water tap - I could have a pan of filtered water on a rolling boil within seconds of having the pan out of the cupboard.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with old electric hobs in my current place, it takes about 20 minutes to get a pan simmering :(
  • Slithery
    edited 13 March 2019 at 7:23PM
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Kitchen has walls, floor, doors, window and ceiling.... and electricity. Water pipes run through it, but there’s currently no sink (or drainpipe). There is a smoke alarm. Otherwise it’s pretty much a blank canvas, and electricity gives me much more flexibility in terms of hob position.

Bear in mind if you go for a proper fitted induction hob/oven it will need it's own dedicated circuit - standard circuits and even old ceramic hob circuits probably won't meet the requirements. The distance and ease of routing from your consumer unit to the kitchen will have a massive impact on how easy (or not) this will be. Luckily for me my CU was only 2m away and the cable run was going to be under new tiles so making good was easy.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    If you use stainless steel [STRIKE]or cast iron [/STRIKE]already, you are elected - they work
    Mine didn't... They are non-magnetic stainless steel with copper core bases... Going to give to a charity shop for someone else to use. Probably 30 year old, but were a sound investment.

Slithery wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you go for a proper fitted induction hob/oven it will need it's own dedicated circuit - standard circuits and even old ceramic hob circuits probably won't meet the requirements.
    Never heard of Diversity in the IET regs for domestic cooking appliances?
    A single 32A MCB cooker circuit can feed both hob and double oven. It's almost unheard of for all rings and oven elements to be ON at full at the same time.

Best practice is to have the two appliances on separate circuits but it's not always easy to do so. In which case if it is permissible then why not? :T
  • Slithery
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    A single 32A MCB cooker circuit can feed both hob and double oven. It's almost unheard of for all rings and oven elements to be ON at full at the same time.
    You'd think so, but the last cooker I fitted when redoing my mums kitchen needed a 40A circuit, the existing 32A wasn't up to spec. This was a 5-hob 4-oven beast though :)
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make sure you get a full power induction hob, not a low power one....https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5983696

When we built our kitchen in France 12 years ago we had a dual hob fitted, 2 induction and 2 halogen, best of both worlds.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    You'd think so, but the last cooker I fitted when redoing my mums kitchen needed a 40A circuit, the existing 32A wasn't up to spec. This was a 5-hob 4-oven beast though :)
    So > 20kW total load (80 Amps+) --- the sums for diversity would suggest?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,309 Forumite
    Options
    I cook pancakes frequently and they are perfect on an induction hob.

They are safer than a gas hob because a) they will cut out if you leave something on the hob and b) The hob itself doesn’t get very hot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure