Penalty Points & Insurance

Options
avi2
avi2 Posts: 21 Forumite
At what stage does someone have to inform their insurance company that they have been given Penalty Points?
as soon as they get it
or
when renewing their insurance ?

thanks

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to check your policy.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above, you notify them as and when your poilicy dictates.

If it states you must inform them immediately then you must do that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually immediately. I'm not aware of any mainstream policies where you're not required to inform them mid-term of events such as this.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    garth549 wrote: »
    Usually immediately. I'm not aware of any mainstream policies where you're not required to inform them mid-term of events such as this.
    Here are two.

LV= don't

eSure only want to know if you're "charged with, or convicted of, any offence including fraud, arson and dishonesty, that’s unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, or of any prosecution pending."
    but not for any other motoring offences.
  • abrown234
    abrown234 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Churchill also dont require it untill you next renew.

Your policy document will have a section in for what they need to know about if things change.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Admiral insurance - only on renewal (last time I checked)
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    eSure only want to know if you're "charged with, or convicted of, any offence including fraud, arson and dishonesty, that’s unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, or of any prosecution pending."
    but not for any other motoring offences.
    According to my esure policy, I have to tell them of any convictions as soon as they are given.

https://www.esure.com/sites/esure/files/inline-files/EMEF-3867270318%20Motor%20Pol%20Bk_0.pdf
    Page 20
    You must also tell us immediately if any of the following happen:

• You or any driver covered under the policy are convicted of a motoring offence or are banned from driving.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same as above with esure, They wont amend the policy* and ask for more money to continue the policy agreement. However come renewal they'll hike the price up. Thats when you go elsewhere, Even a phone call to them advising them you've been quoted better than the renewal they wont match or beat it.

I'm now with Direct Line, and pay just a couple of pounds extra than the previous year with esure, My conviction to them made no difference.

*They will put a note onto the policy a convection notice.
  • mcopland
    Options
    Hi everyone

I may be disqualified later in the year (please don't judge - it was my fault!) and I wondered what happened after my six month ban when I try to renew my insurance. I will then be on 0 points but wondered if anyone knew if I had to declare the fact that I had been on 12 for six months? I imagine that insurance companies will have a record of my ban anyway and therefore my insurance will go up a lot?

Thanks

Martin
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mcopland wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I may be disqualified later in the year (please don't judge - it was my fault!) and I wondered what happened after my six month ban when I try to renew my insurance. I will then be on 0 points but wondered if anyone knew if I had to declare the fact that I had been on 12 for six months? I imagine that insurance companies will have a record of my ban anyway and therefore my insurance will go up a lot?

Thanks

Martin

Check your policy. Then sell your car and buy a bus pass.
    Or win the lottery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport