PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freehold House but Service Charge for Parking Bays

Options

Comments

• Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Glover,

Yes that's correct, but I want to fix both elements.

So essentially Service Charge for Year 2 = £300 (Fixed) *1.02 (Fixed) , and then
    Service Charge for Year 3 = £306 * 1.02

At least this way I can plan my budgeting and if selling on I can definitively say what the SC will be.

I appreciate this can only be agreed through the generosity of the Freeholder and any additional costs will have to be picked up by those who do not have the benefit of this agreement (i.e. been fleeced already!).

Sally-Anne

I don't think you will get a bespoke agreement, can you imagine the fuss when your neighbours find out that you are contributing less. The management companies are setup to make money, they won't give that up or agree to something that limits it.

I would get your solicitor to do an honest assessment, on the plus side (well sort of) lots of others in the same situation and there has been questions raised in parliament even yesterday, no idea how long it will take to get something done or if they will limit it in any way.

The issue I had, new builds tend to have the right council tax applied because they are clearly not based on estimates done in 1990's, my council tax is £2600, my brothers £1500, his 1960's house is worth £75k more than mine!!

Now, say for example you buy a property with a council tax of £1500 (approx band C), £300 additional now is not too bad, if it goes up to £600 additional then I'd think twice about buying a freehold band c property with £2100 charges....and rising and unlimited at that! you are buying a hybrid freehold really, all the downsides of a leasehold without any of the protection.
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Hi Glover,

Thank you for your thoughts, really appreciate it.

So you think even if I do get the deal I want, then it could still be challenged by the other residents? I would have thought once its in the Contract/Deeds then it cannot be affected.

And yes I'm aware its been raised in Parliament too, the first reading of the Bill was in Nov 2018 and then the Second Reading was supposed to be in Feb 2019 but got postponed for some reason. It is a huge issue but as you say its impossible to say if anything will be done.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you think even if I do get the deal I want, then it could still be challenged by the other residents? I would have thought once its in the Contract/Deeds then it cannot be affected.
    It couldn't be challenged, the point is more that you've got no chance of getting it in the first place.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps the initial annual service charge has been set to build a sinking fund. In the years ahead the road/parking bays will no doubt require maintenance. Is the the area tarmac or brick paved?
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Hi David,

The local builder in Sheffield studied and lived with my best friend back in their uni days and have since remained good friends. So I've got slightly more chance than no chance at all, all depends if he can be convinced to give mates rates :/

Sally-Anne
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Hi Thrugelmir,

Yes possibly, I've not received the full breakdown yet - the car park is tarmac.

Sally-Anne
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 March 2019 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Here's what our annual service charge includes for the maintenance of a single private road to our development:

- Ongoing maintenance (mainly of landscaped areas)
    - One-off costs
    - Insurance
    - Health and safety inspections
    - Audit fees
    - Management fees

In addition, like Thrugelmir says, there is a contribution to a reserve fund which is building up to cover major repairs/replacement of the road.

If you have gates you will have to pay for repairs and maintenance on those plus an electrical safety inspection (I know because we were recently charged for both of those, even though we don't have any gates! It was a nightmare getting this corrected).

Sally-Anne, best of luck getting a unique agreement. If this is a small development and you know the developer, you might have a chance (a very small one though IMO).

What you need to find out urgently is who is responsible for managing the parking bays and other common areas. If this is a residents' management company, that's great because you will be in control of costs. If this will be a third-party property management company, find out who it will be and Google them. You might find a lot of horror stories associated with them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd walk away.

There are some absolute horror stories about leasehold parts and at the end of the day you have no control over your parking bays. The developer is keeping them leasehold for one reason only and that's to make money. He may just wait until the houses are sold and then sell the Freehold to someone else, usually some ubiquitous off shore company.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    Hi David,

The local builder in Sheffield studied and lived with my best friend back in their uni days and have since remained good friends. So I've got slightly more chance than no chance at all, all depends if he can be convinced to give mates rates :/

Sally-Anne

I have to say, as stated earlier in this thread, if I was another resident on this estate and I found out (and someone will trust me!) that you'd got a "deal" on the service charges I'd be pretty p""d off. Particularly, as it was because you were mates with the builder. And I was paying more than you for the same thing.

Contractually, I am sure that davidmcn is correct and there would be little they could do about it. But, you'd have to live with these people in close proximity. And, it's going to be a running sore - especially if there are large increases.

While I understand how you are thinking sometimes it's not just about the money
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    It's not going to be his problem long-term - he'll want something he can easily dispose of i.e. with the service charge fully recoverable from the residents, rather than some weird arrangement where one house thinks they're special. More likely outcome is that you get some discount off the price (or another freebie) in return for putting up with the standard service charge wording.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure