🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

overboarding a lath and plaster ceiling

Options
I have a lath and plaster ceiling in my kitchen which has been patch repaired in the past and is very rough and uneven. I'd like to get it redone but can't face the mess of bringing down the old ceiling. A builder suggested it could be overboarded with plasterboard and skimmed to make a new ceiling. Is this a good idea? He quoted £700 for a room approx 3 x 4m. (I am in N London). Seems a lot of money. :confused:

Comments

• pdrskint
    pdrskint Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Idea
    DIY firstly find out which way ceiling joists run and mark.
    plasterbaord ceiling cost of boards £30 screw to ceiling joists,
    tape over joints {special tape] fill over screw holes and gaps ,paint job done.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks a bit expensive, though if most of the kitchen is intact it will be quite akward to plaster.
    You should do it properly. Clear the kitchen out yourself, pull the old ceiling down, nail up new plasterboard and then pay plasterer to skim it.
    Happy chappy
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We boarded over an old lathe and plaster ceiling in our previous house and it looked fine. OH did it himself so just cost of boards.

He was planning on doing the same in the kitchen but the ceiling was in a much worse condition and delicate so he pulled it down and boarded up himself. He then got a plasterer in to skim the ceilings. Think he charged £50 per ceiling.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks a bit expensive, though if most of the kitchen is intact it will be quite akward to plaster.
    You should do it properly. Clear the kitchen out yourself, pull the old ceiling down, nail up new plasterboard and then pay plasterer to skim it.

As a plasterer with well over 20 years experience I dissagree extremley.

ALLWAYS overboard if you can. The mess, expense and work involved is really not worth it, to take the ceiling down as their is NOTHING to be gained.

I overboard ceillings on a weekly basis and have never had a problem

BTW £700 is outrageous I can do that job in a day I'll do it for 5 :)

Im in London on the 2 of Jan :)
  • Joannag_2
    Options
    I have had 6 rooms overboarded and plastered this year, no way would I have wanted the lath and plaster pulled down first!! Was approx £160 a room, but was really pleased with the results and feel it has been an investment for many years to come!
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If nelly is going to do the job for £5 get him in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jason_s_2
    jason_s_2 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with nelly 110% , i have just done 3 ceilings, And the customer wanted all 3 ripped down and reboarded.Told her overboarding was the way but no she was adderment she wanted them ripped down.What an absolute mess.Mind you she did pay for it tho ;)lol
  • DatabaseError
    DatabaseError Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    Options
    bit late jumping in on this thread, so i may get missed, but wifey wants a new kitchen ceiling (she has a point!) overboarding seems a good idea, quick question, do i need special screws (prevent rust patches??) or just something like 2" woodscrews? placement every foot or so? then possibly call a plasterer...lol
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • jason_s_2
    Options
    You need 2" DRY WALL screws mate,about £8 for a box of 500 in the builders merchants.
  • jason_s_2
    Options
    Oh and as for spacing , i put 5 in 1 line and do 5-6 lines(and no i don't mean that) per board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport